Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jewelry insurance

1. Senior Member

Jewelry insurance

Advertisements
    Anyone have their jewelry insured? Whether it's your wedding bands or something else? I am looking into getting my wedding bands insured and not sure who I should go through. They are not currently insured as they were husbands great grandmothers so he couldn't just get insurance who he bought them through. I asked his grandmother, we live with his grandparents, who she has hers insured through and she says she doesn't have hers insured and neither does her daughter. I said I wanted to get mine insured and she said "Why bother? I've never had mine insured. Neither has Aunt Barb and we've never needed it." This shocked me as these rings are her mothers, a family heirloom. You would think she'd be more cautious of them since they aren't in her possession anymore and encourage me to get the insurance. Plus I noticed that the diamond on the engagement ring was loose so I had husband take both rings the jewelers to be looked at. There are 7 diamonds between the two rings, 6 of them were loose! Since husbands grandmother doesn't think we should get them insured he doesn't think it's necessary either. I'm like do you want to replace all the diamonds?! The jeweler was able to reset them, but what if some of them fell out? Expensive! So do you ladies have any jewelry insured, if so where through? I was thinking through my car insurance Geico as I've heard they insure jewelry.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    Anyone have their jewelry insured? Whether it's your wedding bands or something else? I am looking into getting my wedding bands insured and not sure who I should go through. They are not currently insured as they were husbands great grandmothers so he couldn't just get insurance who he bought them through. I asked his grandmother, we live with his grandparents, who she has hers insured through and she says she doesn't have hers insured and neither does her daughter. I said I wanted to get mine insured and she said "Why bother? I've never had mine insured. Neither has Aunt Barb and we've never needed it." This shocked me as these rings are her mothers, a family heirloom. You would think she'd be more cautious of them since they aren't in her possession anymore and encourage me to get the insurance. Plus I noticed that the diamond on the engagement ring was loose so I had husband take both rings the jewelers to be looked at. There are 7 diamonds between the two rings, 6 of them were loose! Since husbands grandmother doesn't think we should get them insured he doesn't think it's necessary either. I'm like do you want to replace all the diamonds?! The jeweler was able to reset them, but what if some of them fell out? Expensive! So do you ladies have any jewelry insured, if so where through? I was thinking through my car insurance Geico as I've heard they insure jewelry.
    Eh, to each their own. They are taking risks by not insuring, but it is their decision. We have my wedding bands insured through USAA along with the rest of our insurance. They can usually add it on to a renters or homeowners policy.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    We have my rings insured, but I honestly have no clue about anything else about it lol! DH got them insured when he first bought them
  4. Senior Member
    Who do you have your renters or homeowners insurance with?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Who do you have your renters or homeowners insurance with?
    This. Either your home owners or renters insurance will cover it. You may need to specifically add the items if they are over a certain value.
    If you are renting an apartment, or living on base and you don't have renters insurnce, get it. Everyone. Anyone. It's dirt cheap, and if your house burns down, floods,etc , you get robbed, or a guest gets injured on your property it's the only way you swill be covered. And it's only a few dollars a month.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Senior Member
    Yes, frankly, jewelry insurance is a very, very optional thing. Renters insurance shouldn't be. If a diamond falls out or your ring is stolen, you'll be 100% fine. Sad, but fine. If your home burns to the ground and takes everything with it, you won't be. Assuming you do have renters (or homeowners) insurance, call them. The ring may be automatically covered, or you may need to add a small rider policy, depending on your policy terms and the value of the ring.

If you don't have renters insurance, you need to get it now, and certainly you need to stop look askance at people who choose not to pay to insure a ring. It's irresponsible not to have renters insurance; it's a calculated risk that in many cases makes sense not to have insurance on a ring.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Yes, frankly, jewelry insurance is a very, very optional thing. Renters insurance shouldn't be. If a diamond falls out or your ring is stolen, you'll be 100% fine. Sad, but fine. If your home burns to the ground and takes everything with it, you won't be. Assuming you do have renters (or homeowners) insurance, call them. The ring may be automatically covered, or you may need to add a small rider policy, depending on your policy terms and the value of the ring.

If you don't have renters insurance, you need to get it now, and certainly you need to stop look askance at people who choose not to pay to insure a ring. It's irresponsible not to have renters insurance; it's a calculated risk that in many cases makes sense not to have insurance on a ring.
    Yup. Agreed.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    Nope. Well not anything over what renters before and now homeowners covered. I have a lot of nice stuff and all together it is worth a bit but I still could not imagine getting insurance just for jewelry. It isn't like I own the crown jewels or millions of dollars worth of stuff.
  9. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    I have a replacement policy through the place dh bought my rings. If they are stolen my homeowners covers it, even away from home.
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Yes, insured through my USAA insurance.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast