Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Damaged hair

1. Senior Member
    duluth mn...it's a great city on a great lake!

Damaged hair

Advertisements
    I went and got my hair trimmed today, I thought my hair was falling out well the stylist told me it's not falling out its breaking off because it's damaged. I barely heat style my hair and I haven't had hair this damaged since I went platinum blonde about 10 years ago. They did some protein conditioner treatment thing and recommended an anti breakage stuff but is there anything else I should be doing? Any magic products I should be using? I'm pretty sure a lot of the problem is the water in the new town I'm living in as that's the only thing that's changed in the last few months and since I rent a filtering shower head or water filtration system aren't really an option.
  2. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

You may want to use a shampoo and conditioner specific to moisturizing hair, I use these ones. Shampoos and conditioners made for color treated hair tend to be extra moisturizing and you can use them too, regardless if its colored or not. Also use a deep conditioning treatment 1-2 time a week. I like this one.
  3. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Explore products with no sulfates/alcohol/fragrance. All 3 dry hair out and dry hair breaks. Another thing is try using less ponytail holders or switch to fold over elastic ponytail holders. The standard ones with cotton around latex dry out the same part of your hair day after day and can create tension breakage. You could also try a satin pillowcase. That helps your hair shaft stay smooth instead of getting dry and frizzy as you move during the night.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post
    You may want to use a shampoo and conditioner specific to moisturizing hair, I use these ones. Shampoos and conditioners made for color treated hair tend to be extra moisturizing and you can use them too, regardless if its colored or not. Also use a deep conditioning treatment 1-2 time a week. I like this one.
    Those look like they smell good, next time I'm in a bigger town with an ulta or a salon I'll pick those up and give them a try!

Quote Originally Posted by usafgf92 View Post
    Explore products with no sulfates/alcohol/fragrance. All 3 dry hair out and dry hair breaks. Another thing is try using less ponytail holders or switch to fold over elastic ponytail holders. The standard ones with cotton around latex dry out the same part of your hair day after day and can create tension breakage. You could also try a satin pillowcase. That helps your hair shaft stay smooth instead of getting dry and frizzy as you move during the night.
    I was using Shea moisture baby shampoo and their conditioner with none of that bad stuff and as soon as I moved here it stopped working and wouldn't rinse out or something...it always felt like my hair had a film and looked greasy. I felt like I needed to wash my hair more than ever so that may have contributed to my problem haha. I used to maybe wash it once a week and I started washing it like twice a day 😞 because it never felt clean or like hair anymore.
  5. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    I was using Shea moisture baby shampoo and their conditioner with none of that bad stuff and as soon as I moved here it stopped working and wouldn't rinse out or something...it always felt like my hair had a film and looked greasy. I felt like I needed to wash my hair more than ever so that may have contributed to my problem haha. I used to maybe wash it once a week and I started washing it like twice a day �� because it never felt clean or like hair anymore.
    Yikes! ): Maybe talk to your landlord about it? Hard water can be bad for your hair, skin, and for their property... It might be in their best interest to at least look into the filtering shower head.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usafgf92 View Post
    Yikes! ): Maybe talk to your landlord about it? Hard water can be bad for your hair, skin, and for their property... It might be in their best interest to at least look into the filtering shower head.
    I did ask, the water in this town is truly awful. It's undrinkable and even a brita pitcher doesn't help. there is a water softener system for the building but it's not much help.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

When i was platinum and when i go back to it this was my hair routine:
    Shampoo
    Conditioner or this (alternate)
    leave in spray
    Hair oil

and once a month i used a purple shampoo along with the hair mask instead of conditioner since its really drying.