Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Something happened to my face!

1. Regular Member

Help! Something happened to my face!

Advertisements
    I never had acne growing up, except for an occasional zit, but that was super rare. Out of nowhere, I started breaking out like crazy less than a year ago. It got to a point where I knew it wasn't going to go away on its own. Matter of fact, it was getting worse! So I grabbed acne by the balls and bought myself a bottle of Clean & Clear face wash. It was great at first. I used it twice a day with my spiraling brush and started seeing results within the first week. The second week was even better! But by the end of the third week, it was starting to dry out on some parts (I have combination skin; so on the 'normal' skin). I reduced to using it once a day and added a Clean & Clear moisturizer that did absolutely nothing! Then I tried a moisturizer by Olay that also did nothing. It never absorbed and felt/looked like I didn't even use it in the first place. I've stopped using the face wash for a few days now in hope that it will restore my skin, but it's still sooooo dry. I mean ridiculously dry! It's flaky, rough and ugly.

What do you girls use for acne-fighting skin care? I don't want to go so drastic as to take pills for it, but I would be open to trying a new line of cleansers, toners, moisturizers, etc.
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Go here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/

Seriously. Go there, read all the newb stuff. Everything the media has taught you about skincare is mostly wrong.

1) You killed the moisture barrier on your skin. Lots of thick lotion or even Vaseline - now! It takes 17-20 days to restore the skin cells so you may have flaking for a while. You can GENTLY GENTLY rub them off with some facial oil or a microfiber cloth if they bug you a ton.

2) By using physical exfoliation (the brush) you're basically making tiny wounds in your skin. It helps at first because you're rubbing the skin off so fast that bacteria doesn't have time to get established, but as you slow down in your use, you will likely have acne even worse. ESPECIALLY if you're not sterilizing the brush head between uses!

3) You'll probably have to be gentle to your skin for a while so it can heal.

Some recommended products that I adore:
    Lotion:http://www.amazon.com/CeraVe-Moistur.../dp/B001V9SXXU At first this one felt super sticky and thick on my skin but as my skin got used to it, it got happier. Now my skin is soft and plump and doesn't flake at all.

Chemical Exfoliant: CLEAN & CLEARŽ ADVANTAGEŽ Acne Spot Treatment | CLEAN & CLEARŽ For spot treatment of individual zits

Or

http://www.amazon.com/Stridex-Daily-.../dp/B000NUN8BK For overall face/shoulders/back

Night Cream: http://www.amazon.com/Eucerin-Rednes.../dp/B0013L3XMM Love this stuff, very soothing.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Honestly, hormones is what causes acne. It isn't what you eat, or drink or your environment for the most part (sure it plays some but for the most part). If nothing that you have tried has worked I would go to a dermatologist. See what they recommend for healing your skin and helping get rid of the acne and than after that if they don't do it, find out what your skin type is (oily, dry, combo etc) and get a cleanser and moisturizer that is for YOUR skin type.

Personally, as a girl I used soap and water. Once I started wearing make-up more often I started using oil of olay and now I use the three step facial care program from clinique. Other than when it is fixing to be that time of month I rarely get acne. And I used to as a teen. The clinique honestly cleared my skin up because what I used was for my skin type.
  4. Regular Member
    I have combo skin and it took me a while to figure out what worked. I wash my face at night with soap then put on Cetaphil moisturizing cream. In the morning I only wash with water and I reapply the Cetaphil cream and then once that has dried a bit I put on my make-up. I was hesitant about using such a thick cream on my oily forehead but it had good reviews and has worked great for my skin.
  5. Senior Member
    Benzoyl peroxide works for me, salicylic acid doesn't work for me. So I use this thing called ACNE FREE, its $6 a bottle of facewash similar to proactiv ( the as seen on tv one). and then i follow up with a 'calming lotion' aveeno with lavender and chamomile to calm my skin. that is all i use. it keeps my skin clear.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Go here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/

Seriously. Go there, read all the newb stuff. Everything the media has taught you about skincare is mostly wrong.

1) You killed the moisture barrier on your skin. Lots of thick lotion or even Vaseline - now! It takes 17-20 days to restore the skin cells so you may have flaking for a while. You can GENTLY GENTLY rub them off with some facial oil or a microfiber cloth if they bug you a ton.

2) By using physical exfoliation (the brush) you're basically making tiny wounds in your skin. It helps at first because you're rubbing the skin off so fast that bacteria doesn't have time to get established, but as you slow down in your use, you will likely have acne even worse. ESPECIALLY if you're not sterilizing the brush head between uses!

3) You'll probably have to be gentle to your skin for a while so it can heal.

Some recommended products that I adore:
    Lotion:Amazon.com : CeraVe Moisturizers, Moisturizing Cream, 16 Ounce : Facial Creams And Moisturizers : Beauty At first this one felt super sticky and thick on my skin but as my skin got used to it, it got happier. Now my skin is soft and plump and doesn't flake at all.

Chemical Exfoliant: CLEAN & CLEARŽ ADVANTAGEŽ Acne Spot Treatment | CLEAN & CLEARŽ For spot treatment of individual zits

Or

http://www.amazon.com/Stridex-Daily-.../dp/B000NUN8BK For overall face/shoulders/back

Night Cream: Amazon.com: Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Night Creme, 1.7 Ounce: Beauty Love this stuff, very soothing.
    This is seriously helpful info for anyone! Wow! I just learned so much!

7. Senior Member
    Depends on the person. My advice ALWAYS if you are guessing is that you need to moisturize more.
  8. Senior Member
    The more I think about it, if you don't go to a dermatologist about the issue leave your face be as much as possible for a couple weeks. Wash with a soft for sensitive skin soap and water. Avoid putting anything on your face until it has healed. Avoid makeup if possible, avoid moisturizer etc.
  9. Regular Member
    Hey girls! Sorry I went MIA for the weekend. I'm definitely going to check the links out today. The good news is my skin is starting to heal. Come pay day, I'm going to be trying out the products everyone has suggested

To be clear though, the cleanser doesn't have to specifically target acne? Because if that's the case, the door opens wider than I thought!
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by akaSARAH View Post
    Hey girls! Sorry I went MIA for the weekend. I'm definitely going to check the links out today. The good news is my skin is starting to heal. Come pay day, I'm going to be trying out the products everyone has suggested

To be clear though, the cleanser doesn't have to specifically target acne? Because if that's the case, the door opens wider than I thought!
    Chemicals that help acne (salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, others) work by sitting on your skin. A cleanser gets rinsed off, so there's barely any time for them to work. It's much better to have a gentle plain cleanser and then a treatment cream after.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast