Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Good hair products for thick hair?

1. Senior Member

Good hair products for thick hair?

Advertisements
    So DD (7 yrs old) has always had thick, wavy hair. It used to be mainly wavy on the bottom part of her hair and the top was pretty much straight. I had never had issues brushing her hair or doing anything with it until like 2 yrs ago.

All of a sudden, mainly at the root, her hair started feeling very coarse (sp?). The rest of her hair is just the same as before. I'm thinking it might be the water here or something, I'm really not sure. We lived in Colorado for a few years and then moved down to El Paso. Like about 6 months after we moved, that is when I noticed the change in her hair. Because of that change, her hair becomes more tangled and I feel so bad when I do her hair or use the comb when she gets out of the shower because it hurts her. I have tried the detangler sprays but it doesn't really do much good.

Any suggestions on what I could use for her?
  2. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Does she ever complain that her scalp is itchy/scratch incessantly? Does she have curly hair? Her hair/scalp are probably in need of a deep conditioning treatment and some humectant hair products. I know a lot of kids use those cartoon character shampoos and conditioners by like Suave, but they're full of sulfates, alcohol, and fragrance (as are most shampoo/conditioners, even ones that claim to be good for your hair). Whatever she's using, combined with your new climate, is probably drying her scalp out and dry hair tangles and breaks.

Try switching to Organix or Mixed Chicks! I love both. Those can be kinda pricey so when they're not on sale I go for Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo & Conditioner.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usafgf92 View Post
    Does she ever complain that her scalp is itchy/scratch incessantly? Does she have curly hair? Her hair/scalp are probably in need of a deep conditioning treatment and some humectant hair products. I know a lot of kids use those cartoon character shampoos and conditioners by like Suave, but they're full of sulfates, alcohol, and fragrance (as are most shampoo/conditioners, even ones that claim to be good for your hair). Whatever she's using, combined with your new climate, is probably drying her scalp out and dry hair tangles and breaks.

Try switching to Organix or Mixed Chicks! I love both. Those can be kinda pricey so when they're not on sale I go for Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo & Conditioner.
    Now that you mention that, she has been complaining of her head feeling itchy and I have caught her scratching. I wouldn't say she has curly curly hair. Most of it is straight and gets wavy towards the bottom. About an inch, inch and a half, of her hair starting at the root is coarse and somewhat curly. I do use the shampoo bottles with the princesses on it. I'm going to look into that then and see if it makes a difference. Thank you very much!
    Last edited by mexgirl006; 08-14-2015 at 01:28 AM.