Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Capsule Wardrobe (Info & Assistance)

1. Senior Member

Capsule Wardrobe (Info & Assistance)

Advertisements
    Is anyone trying this?

What it is: having a set wardrobe size for each season, usually around 30-40 pieces including tops, bottoms, dresses, and shoes, and doesn't include underoos, workout gear or PJs, but everything works together so you can make multiple outfits from just a few pieces.

I just started this week.. I was tired of looking in my closet and not being able to find anything to wear! I had my usual go-to outfits, but they only worked together as a single outfit and didn't mesh with anything else. So this past weekend I took everything out and ended up donating 50 shirts and around 20 dresses (mostly skimpy party dresses from my clubbing days).

I honestly feel like a HUGE weight has been lifted off my shoulders.. My closet is so much better organized and pretty much everything goes with everything.. Or at least I can make a few outfits with each piece, and I don't just stand in front of my closet staring at everything wondering what to wear in the morning

As soon as I get the laundry done I will upload pics of my bottoms, but I have some pictures of my tops for now.

I do need some help with what type of shoes (casual sandals preferably) I need to get and maybe a skirt or two? But I have no idea what style or color, I was thinking a creme or navy blue just above the knee maybe..?? I'm going for a casual look that I can carry around my wiggly kid or pick her up without showing my goodies to the world..

Heres what I have so far

The sandals both have a small wedge heel. I'm looking for some flats..

Pics of bottoms to come.. they're in the wash
  2. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels

I couldn't do this. My wardrobe lives in 3 different worlds work (professional) family/going out (casual/semi dressy) and farm work (crap clothing/workout clothes)
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post

I couldn't do this. My wardrobe lives in 3 different worlds work (professional) family/going out (casual/semi dressy) and farm work (crap clothing/workout clothes)
    Haha mine will have to expand when I go back to work, but for now it's the perfect size for a SAHM

I also have some grunge clothes that I didn't include in the count.. And a couple nice dressy dresses.
  4. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    I could not handle this either. I mean I have multiple shirts that go with different things but I like my full closet lol
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I couldn't do this (I like to have too many options ) but we totally have the same wardrobe
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I've thought about it. Mostly I just need to get rid of stuff I don't wear much anymore That would scale me down to a capsule-size wardrobe. Well, two. One for work and one for not-work. If I kept only what I actually wear, here's what I would have left:

For work I basically have one pair of really nice jeans, 2 pairs of black slacks, 2 pairs of gray slacks (light and charcoal) and 1 wool maxi skirt for colder days. For tops I have like 15-20 blouses and probably 8-10 cardigans and nearly everything goes with everything. I basically never wear dresses to work so I don't bother with them

For not-work I have 3 pairs of jeans, several sundresses, and handful of screen-printed Ts and not-work-appropriate blouses, as well as 2 pairs of leggings and 1 pair of shorts. Lately I pretty much only wear sundresses on weekends unless it's coldish out.

Dh has just recently been encouraging me to buy more clothes because the stuff I actually wear was getting rather sparse I just recently bought 3 work shirts, 3 not-work shirts, another pair of jeans, and a new sundress. I want 2 more pairs of slacks for work (navy and khaki) but I've been lazy about ordering them.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Senior Member
    The blog Wardrobe Oxygen does a lot with small capsule wardrobes. There's even a link at the top of the blog where you can see all her capsule posts. She does a lot where she will answer a question she gets about a capsule wardrobe for a working mom, or for a trip to Paris in Spring, or whatever. Even if you don't love her style, I think the posts are helpful in learning what to look for.

Since a lot of your tops are printed, I'd go with solid bottoms. It seems like Navy would be a good color choice for your neutral as it would go with pretty much all those tops except maybe the black. I'd go with sometime A line or full and knee length or just above so you can still bend and move freely. I highly recommend slipshorts (basically they are like biker shorts) both to help with sweat and chaffing if you live somewhere hot, and to offer a level of modesty in case there is a gust of wind or a kid yanking up a skirt. I like the ones from Jockey.

You might also consider a couple scarves. They can transform an outfit.

For shoes, have you considered a comfortable and well-made ballet flat. They work in nearly very situation that a sandal would (except maybe poolside!) but look much more refined and pulled together so they are more versatile. Get one with a bit of padding inside, not the kind with just a thin hard sole that make you feel like you are walking on wood blocks. I'd go with a flesh colored pair which will go with everything, and then maybe a colorful pair. (But I love a shoe in a contrasting color to an outfit, so maybe that's just me.) Something in the minty turquoise of the anchor shirt would go well with most of your outfits.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have less than 40 pieces for my WHOLE wardrobe for all the seasons . I need more clothes but I am so picky and cheap!

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  9. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    I kinda do the capsul wardrobe thing... but that's because 90% of my professional wardrobe is black & winter white/cream with some grey and a few color accent pieces to break up the monotone.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaClaire View Post
    I have less than 40 pieces for my WHOLE wardrobe for all the seasons . I need more clothes but I am so picky and cheap!
    Oh my gosh same here I'm trying to slowing amp up my wardrobe by buying 1-2 good tops a month so I wont be stuck squeezing myself into tee shirts and jeans 24/7.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast