Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shampoo and conditioner..and all the other hair care stuff

1. Senior Member

shampoo and conditioner..and all the other hair care stuff

Advertisements
    Hey ladies, what shampoo and conditioner do you use when you wash your hair?

I've always, always been using "drug store" hair products (Pantene, Dove, Herbal Essence, etc). I change it up here and there, depending on what's on sale lol. Recently, I got a haircut and the hair dresser suggested to use shampoo and conditioner that is more high end. I can't remember her exact wording, but basically, she was saying that it's better for the hair to use salon hair products. She went on saying that when you come from a salon, your hair comes out better not just because of the way it was dried, it's because of the shampoo and conditioner that was used.

I was thinking maybe the hairdresser was just trying to sell her product to me, so I opted out. If anything, I can find the closest salon and buy one if needed. When I mentioned to my co-worker the story, she agreed with the hairdresser. I've never taken extra care of my hair in a sense of buying high end hair products. Basically, I wash every other day, I only blow dry about twice a month. I've never bleached my hair and last time I colored it was in college (over a decade ago). By default, my hair is "good", mainly because I don't overwork it, but I've seen women with much silkier, better looking hair. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to hair care.

So what do you ladies use for your shampoo and condition?

Or do you have any DIY hair care solution?

What other hair regiment/routine do you do to take care of your hair?
  2. Senior Member
    I use Redkin Shampoo and Conditioner for colored hair, but I switch this up each time I buy (Always Redkin). Once a Week I use Malibu Undo-Gu Shampoo.

I really love the whole Redkin line and I also use Purology at times.

It really depends on type of hair, too. I have SUPER thick curly hair, and I spend a good deal of time drying and straightening. So I like repair and moisture types. When Styling I really like Argon Oil
  3. Senior Member
    Supposedly, higher end hair products are more expensive because the ingredients are more expensive, and because they have better chemists working on the products. I've used some high end haircare though and I truly notice no difference. I'm still looking for something at the drugstore I really love but I've tried redken, pureology, paul mitchell, phyto, and some others and I just don't feel like they make enough of a difference in my hair that it's worth the extra money.

I do think styling products are WAY better though. I've been using the living proof 5 in one stuff every day for a few months now, my hair looks so good. I mean I just have shitty hair to begin with so I should really say my hair looks so good for being my hair. But omg. I have so much more volume, it's not all tangled and frizzy, it's smooth and shiny and soft, I'll be buying this shit for the rest of my life.

I don't have much of a routine. I've been using some l'oreal stuff recently, I'm gonna try pantene next I think. Before that I was using organix biotin and collagen formula, I liked it a lot at first but the scent kind of made me nauseous and after a while it made my hair feel dirty. So I wash and condition my hair, then use my living proof stuff and blow dry. Again, my hair looks like shit every day. But that's what I do.
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I use Aveda shampoo and conditioner a few times a week when I shower at home, but I usually shower at the gym and use some organic shampoo/conditioner that I got on clearance at the grocery store. I don't notice a difference in my hair when I use these products.

I also use Aveda Control Paste for styling my hair and I couldn't go without it. It's pretty pricey at $26 for a tub, but a little goes a long way so it lasts me for about 5 months (plus, I have like no hair ).
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I use Redkin Shampoo and Conditioner for colored hair, but I switch this up each time I buy (Always Redkin). Once a Week I use Malibu Undo-Gu Shampoo.

I really love the whole Redkin line and I also use Purology at times.

It really depends on type of hair, too. I have SUPER thick curly hair, and I spend a good deal of time drying and straightening. So I like repair and moisture types. When Styling I really like Argon Oil

Ya, I started looking into Oils...how often do you use that?

Can you tell a difference when you use other products (aside from Redkin)? Meaning like for a weekend, you had to use whatever (like you went away for a weekend and forgot your products).

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Supposedly, higher end hair products are more expensive because the ingredients are more expensive, and because they have better chemists working on the products. I've used some high end haircare though and I truly notice no difference. I'm still looking for something at the drugstore I really love but I've tried redken, pureology, paul mitchell, phyto, and some others and I just don't feel like they make enough of a difference in my hair that it's worth the extra money.

I do think styling products are WAY better though. I've been using the living proof 5 in one stuff every day for a few months now, my hair looks so good. I mean I just have shitty hair to begin with so I should really say my hair looks so good for being my hair. But omg. I have so much more volume, it's not all tangled and frizzy, it's smooth and shiny and soft, I'll be buying this shit for the rest of my life.

I don't have much of a routine. I've been using some l'oreal stuff recently, I'm gonna try pantene next I think. Before that I was using organix biotin and collagen formula, I liked it a lot at first but the scent kind of made me nauseous and after a while it made my hair feel dirty. So I wash and condition my hair, then use my living proof stuff and blow dry. Again, my hair looks like shit every day. But that's what I do.
    I used to use Herbal Essence, then I'd switch to Pantene and loved it. Then one time I tried Herbal Essence again and it was better. I do hear that switching it up is good. So this living proof ....it's literally all that you use? You don't use heat protection if you do decide to blow dry your hair?
  6. Moderator

I only shampoo every 10 days or more, with Nexus color-safe something or other. I swap out my conditioner brand every bottle, so I use tons of brands. I alternate between an Argan Oil spray (Amazon.com : One 'n Only Argan Oil Spray Treatment 6 fl. oz : Hair Styling Serums : Beauty) and a keratin oil spray (http://www.amazon.com/OGX-Shimmering...ng+keratin+oil) before I dry it. I don't use any product for styling.
  7. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I am hell on my hair. I beat the piss out of it, the color changes every 2-4 weeks, no joke. At the moment I have a Rainbow Mohawk. I use garnier fructis shampoo and conditioner and occasionally swap my shampoo out with Ion sulfate free. I have tried the high end stuff, I've tried the 88 cent suave, there is not a whole ton of a difference in the quality of them honestly. I have found it makes much more difference how you treat your hair and that you're using the products you have correctly. I shampoo to get product out of my hair, or if I'm not using product I shampoo every other day. Concentrate on roots and scalp and not so much on hair ends. Conditioner is EVERY time I shower or get my hair wet and the opposite of shampoo, focus on the ends and not so much near the scalp. Near the scalp is going to be moisturized by your natural oils, the ends are going to be drier.
    When you shampoo use warm/hot water. Think of each strand of hair like a piece of spaghetti with fish scales on it. Heat opens those scales, then whatever you put on your hair (shampoo, conditioner, dye, etc) can penetrate down to the core of the hair shaft. when you rinse conditioner use cool/cold water because it seals down those scales and locks in the moisture.
  8. Senior Member
    I use the oil everytime I style.

I have used Aussie, and couldn't tell a difference at first. But the next morning when I woke up my hair was really dirty and nasty feeling. I can usually go two days with Redkin.

I have used and like Suave Profressional Blend. I use the kind made for reds. I really like that, and haven't noticed much difference.

Redkin is just a personal preference to me. I read an article awhile back about the difference between store and salon shampoos/conditioners. I'm on my phone so can't look it up, but you may be able to google it.

I notice more difference in texture, frizz, etc, if I don't use the oil before styling.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwalas View Post
    Ya, I started looking into Oils...how often do you use that?

Can you tell a difference when you use other products (aside from Redkin)? Meaning like for a weekend, you had to use whatever (like you went away for a weekend and forgot your products).

I used to use Herbal Essence, then I'd switch to Pantene and loved it. Then one time I tried Herbal Essence again and it was better. I do hear that switching it up is good. So this living proof ....it's literally all that you use? You don't use heat protection if you do decide to blow dry your hair?
    Part of the 5 in one stuff I use is heat protection. It's really good stuff, I only bought the 2oz size just to try it and I've used it every single day since (this was in January) and I don't think I've even used up a quarter of it yet. I use about a pea sized amount and start at the ends of my hair and work my way up to the roots. My hair is a couple inches below my shoulders and I guess the texture is pretty fine, but I have a ton of it. A tiny bit goes a very long way.

Perfect Hair Day™ 5-in-1 Styling Treatment - Living Proof | Sephora
  10. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I use herbal essences. I feel like my hair is fine and healthy?

I also use HE styling gel for my hair bc it's wavy/spiraly/curly.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast