Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard water help!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hard water help!

Advertisements
    I grew up in New York and moved to Virginia so I've never dealt with hard water, but since we moved to the midwest in the fall my hair and skin is so dry! I'm planning on cutting my hair to my shoulders because everything from there down is like straw even though I've focused on moisturizing more and do a protein treatment every few weeks.

I've tried to use the deep conditioner that usually works, but it basically didn't help. I tried coconut oil and it didn't feel like it really absorbed or did much of anything either.

Do you have any suggestions about what to do or use?
  2. Senior Member
    They sell shower heads that have filters for hard water.

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

How long have you been there? Eventually your hair will get used to the new water but it sucks for like the first month or so. Guam had terrible, terrible hard water and it made for disgusting hair for a while and then when we moved back stateside to normal water, my hair took forever getting used to it again.

I used Biolage in their moisture kind in guam and that seemed to help. I also had a deep conditioning treatment that I did maybe once a week, too, but I can't remember what kind it was.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I'll have to look into that, we live in base housing so I have to check and see if I can swap out shower heads.

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    How long have you been there? Eventually your hair will get used to the new water but it sucks for like the first month or so. Guam had terrible, terrible hard water and it made for disgusting hair for a while and then when we moved back stateside to normal water, my hair took forever getting used to it again.

I used Biolage in their moisture kind in guam and that seemed to help. I also had a deep conditioning treatment that I did maybe once a week, too, but I can't remember what kind it was.
    I've been here since early December, so almost 3 months. I thought that my hair had gotten used to the water because it went through a few weeks of feeling stiff and tangled but now it's just dry. I'll look into the Biolage, thanks!
  5. Senior Member

I have very long, thin hair. Super damaged from wearing it in a bun every day. Well I dyed it back in December for the first time ever and had to buy new shampoo because I didn't want to ruin the color. I ended up getting Biolage and it has definitely helped my hair, although I'm pretty much screwed until I get out of the Army and give it a good cut and let it grow back healthy. They have a deep conditioner treatment you can do once or twice a week, too.
    Last edited by SamanthaAniwaya; 02-26-2015 at 02:21 PM.
    Deployment #1: Over!

DB: feck fuck fack Me: What? DB: I can't believe I love you so damn much

Extended separation #2: Over!
  6. Senior Member
    Our hard water makes my hair super nasty, it is all straw like on the bottom and gross and greasy on the top. I've lived in this house for 2 years and my hair was getting worse not better. Recently I have been using vinegar as a rinse at the end of my shower and it has helped a lot. I wash and condition and then rinse everything out with water. Then I use a little of my conditioner as a leave in for my ends and I massage a 3 to 1 water to vinegar mix into my scalp. Vinegar can be drying so I wouldn't do it very often, I smell like salad but whatever
  7. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

When you shampoo your hair use hot water - it opens up the hair follicles that kind of look like scales. Rinse shampoo out with hot and then slather in the conditioner. Make sure you let it sit and when you rinse the conditioner out use cool/cold water. It seals the scales on the hair shaft back down, locking the moisture in. If you are rinsing with hot water your hair is left open and moisture escapes. Also when you dry it, squeeze it, don't rub it with a towel. Try to soak up the excess moisture with the towel rather than tumble dry your hair by rubbing it.
  8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    My DH installs water softeners for a living and actually recommends people get these to help in the shower. We have them on all the showers in our house and it was something he insisted on from day 1. They make a pretty big difference.

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by *Meg* View Post
    Our hard water makes my hair super nasty, it is all straw like on the bottom and gross and greasy on the top. I've lived in this house for 2 years and my hair was getting worse not better. Recently I have been using vinegar as a rinse at the end of my shower and it has helped a lot. I wash and condition and then rinse everything out with water. Then I use a little of my conditioner as a leave in for my ends and I massage a 3 to 1 water to vinegar mix into my scalp. Vinegar can be drying so I wouldn't do it very often, I smell like salad but whatever
    Regular white vinegar or apple cider vinegar?

Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    When you shampoo your hair use hot water - it opens up the hair follicles that kind of look like scales. Rinse shampoo out with hot and then slather in the conditioner. Make sure you let it sit and when you rinse the conditioner out use cool/cold water. It seals the scales on the hair shaft back down, locking the moisture in. If you are rinsing with hot water your hair is left open and moisture escapes. Also when you dry it, squeeze it, don't rub it with a towel. Try to soak up the excess moisture with the towel rather than tumble dry your hair by rubbing it.
    Thanks! I have been using cool water to rinse but I didn't think about the hot water when shampooing.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRP View Post
    I'll have to look into that, we live in base housing so I have to check and see if I can swap out shower heads.

I've been here since early December, so almost 3 months. I thought that my hair had gotten used to the water because it went through a few weeks of feeling stiff and tangled but now it's just dry. I'll look into the Biolage, thanks!
    It's pretty simple. I swap out the shower heads at every place we've lived at so far. So I don't lose it, I store the old head in the cabinet under the bathroom sink then put it back on before we move out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast