Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jean sizes... ugh.

1. Senior Member

jean sizes... ugh.

Advertisements
    so this is slightly embarrassing... and I need advice. I take great care of my jeans and they last for years and years, so when one is out for the count I hate shopping for a replacement. Well, that happened. Big ol' rip when out doing a relatively low key hike. Sigh. Anyways. I don't live near a mall, closest one is an hour away. So I've gotten used to ordering most of my clothes online. So Hollister was having a sale a few weeks ago and their jeans were like 20 bucks, and I found the same shade as my ruined jeans. Like I usually do, I ordered 2 sizes. a 3 and a 5. I've sort of learned my sizes at each place, and it varies a ridiculous amount depending on the store. Like American Eagle I have a size 2 pair of jeans. I don't fit into a size 2 anywhere else I'm normally a 3 or a 4. I know Hollister is a little more for the teenagers and generally I have to get bigger sizes there. I bought a pair of shorts from them last year and a size 5 fit comfortably. I've never had to buy a size bigger than that anywhere.

So I thought the size 5 jeans would be the ones, and ordered the 3 as well just to compare. Well... I received them in the mail today and even the size 5 didn't fit I couldn't believe it. I could get them on and they covered everything they needed to, I just couldn't zip them up all the way or button them. Talk about depressing. Do I need a size 7?! I went and weighed myself just to make sure I didn't gain a ton of weight recently without noticing... but nope, I'm still the same. I really like the look of these jeans and the price I got them at... theres an option for a speed exchange online. Given that I could get them on but they just wouldn't zip, do you really think one size up would fit? Or would I need to order both a 7 AND a 9?! Good NIGHT. I have never worn such sizes. Is it possible that I weigh the same but my weight has all shifted to my ass?! or I've gotten birthing hips... I don't know. Awkward. This post was both a whine, and an advice asker. Should I get just a 7 and hope and pray, or a 9 as well to be safe? Why would I not wear the same size as their shorts?!
  2. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    I think you need to shop stores that are designed for women and not juniors/teens. Regardless of how thin you are, your body is likely going to change and fill out at some point

3. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    If you've had the jeans for years like you said, maybe Hollister has changed their sizing/measurements/fit since you last bought them?
  4. Senior Member
    If it's been awhile maybe Hollister changed their sizes? Or the jeans and shorts are sized differently for some godforsaken reason? Or the shorts are just a stretchier material than the pants? Who knows! Sizing is such a pain in the ass. I wouldn't worry about having to order a bigger size then normal, since the sizes don't really mean anything. Just order what fits. I would think a size 7 would be fine, but it probably doesn't hurt to exchange the 3&5 for 7&9 and just return the 9's when you're sure the 7's fit.
  5. Senior Member
    the jeans I'm replacing aren't from Hollister, in fact I don't have any jeans from Hollister. Only a pair of jean shorts that I just bought last year. I doubt sizing has changed in the last year, but I'm thinking that you're right that they must size the shorts and jeans differently. I don't know... I just saw they were having a super cheap sale and I went for it. 20 bucks!! But yeah, you're right about it being tailored to teenagers... which I why I know that I need a bigger size there in both shirts and bottoms. I thought it'd be safe since I had the shorts!

I'm still leaning towards exchanging for larger sizes from there... but any other suggestions for jeans? I'm sort of picky... I don't like them to be too matronly, maybe why I tend to get them from more youth centered stores. I like boot cut to slight flare, low rise, fitted. And I don't like spending 80 bucks on jeans... so I know that limits things. I'd like it to be around $30. Given that, any store suggestions?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

Girlfriend Hollister does that to me too! Im usually a 3 but with them I'm a 7! Ive always had to go up a few sizes with them. I chalked it up to me being curvey
  7. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    the jeans I'm replacing aren't from Hollister, in fact I don't have any jeans from Hollister. Only a pair of jean shorts that I just bought last year. I doubt sizing has changed in the last year, but I'm thinking that you're right that they must size the shorts and jeans differently. I don't know... I just saw they were having a super cheap sale and I went for it. 20 bucks!! But yeah, you're right about it being tailored to teenagers... which I why I know that I need a bigger size there in both shirts and bottoms. I thought it'd be safe since I had the shorts!

I'm still leaning towards exchanging for larger sizes from there... but any other suggestions for jeans? I'm sort of picky... I don't like them to be too matronly, maybe why I tend to get them from more youth centered stores. I like boot cut to slight flare, low rise, fitted. And I don't like spending 80 bucks on jeans... so I know that limits things. I'd like it to be around $30. Given that, any store suggestions?
    I'd suggest Marshall's, Ross, and TJ Maxx.. I know I say it a lot when people on here ask for clothing suggestions But Marshall's usually has designer jeans for really affordable prices. I've seen Lucky Jeans for $25!
  8. Senior Member
    It's tough at the price. In addition to the discount stores (TJ Maxx, Ross, etc.), check Target.

For sizes, keep in mind that jeans stretch. Generally, if they fit well when you put them on, then in 45 minutes they are going to be saggy. If you can't even get them zipped, clearly they are too small, but you want them a bit tighter than you'd prefer so that when they stretch a bit, they aren't too big. IME, cheaper jeans tend to stretch more, maybe because they are lighter weight denim?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    that's a good idea, there actually is a Tj Maxx somewhat nearby, I guess I've sort of developed a slight aversion to shopping in real stores, I'd rather they just come to the comfort of my home But I live in a small town so it's probably never very crowded. I will go check it out. And yeah they are the type of jeans that is like blended with spandex so they are the "thinner" jeans as opposed to "real" denim. I know lots of people don't like that, but for the most part I don't mind them as long as they fit! But I'm open to any kind. They don't need to be name brand, just a good fit and price! Another reason why I like places like Hollister is their jeans have the height options to get short, regular and long. Jeans that just have all standard inseams and no options are ALWAYS too long and I need to get them tailored. At Hollister I was able to order it in a short inseam so they are perfect.

glad I'm not the only one, jellybeanerr silly Hollister.
  10. Senior Member
    Yeah this is because you're trying to buy jeans made for preteens and they just tend to run super small anyway. I'm a size 00 EVERYWHERE and those are often too big, I can't fit my legs into hollister jeans for the life of me. Or at least I couldn't in high school when I was trying to shop there. It's not you, it's just how their clothes are sized.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast