Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Exfoliant recs?

1. Senior Member

Exfoliant recs?

Advertisements
    As I mentioned in the moisturized thread, this winter has been brutal for me skin. Add to that a light home chemical peel 5 days and my face actually feels scaly when I rub my fingers over it. It's so gross.

I've been exfoliating daily, and scrubbing as hard as I can. I currently use Fresh's soy exfoliant. I like it and just bought another when I was in the States, but am open to other options. When I exfoliate, I like to *really* exfoliate, so I want something with a good deal of scrub to it.

Any recs? I used to use a cheapie drug store product. I think the brand was St. Ives? I'm not sure that wasn't better at scrubbing, and it was probably 1/10 the cost of the Fresh stuff.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Senior Member
    If you're exfoliating daily, as hard as you can, you are doing waaaaaay more harm than good. You need to be gentle and nurture your skin back to health.

Chemical exfoliants are much better for your skin than physical. If you absolutely must scrub at yourself, get a konjac sponge from amazon. Those are very gentle, but they'll slough off the skin that's ready to come off. Clarisonics are good too, but using them twice a day is too much for the majority of people. I used to use mine every time I washed my face and my skin is so much nicer and more comfortable now that I started using it properly.

Look around at reddit.com/r/skincareaddiction. This sub literally saved my skin! I've been using retin-a for the past almost year and I was such a mess.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If you're exfoliating daily, as hard as you can, you are doing waaaaaay more harm than good. You need to be gentle and nurture your skin back to health.

Chemical exfoliants are much better for your skin than physical. If you absolutely must scrub at yourself, get a konjac sponge from amazon. Those are very gentle, but they'll slough off the skin that's ready to come off. Clarisonics are good too, but using them twice a day is too much for the majority of people. I used to use mine every time I washed my face and my skin is so much nicer and more comfortable now that I started using it properly.

Look around at reddit.com/r/skincareaddiction. This sub literally saved my skin! I've been using retin-a for the past almost year and I was such a mess.
    Normally I only exfoliate once or twice a week, and it's a lighter scrub and for less time. But I've got to get rid of the scales, man!

In addition to 1-2/week with the Fresh scrub, I do the Oil of Olay microdermabrasion, no more than once a week.

The home peel stuff is great. Even DH who is generally clueless and might take a couple days to notice if I shaved my head, commented that my skin looked "smoother or something". It's supposed to be used weekly, but I think it is going to take nearly a full week to get passed the icky period from the last use. I think I'll wait 2 weeks and then leave it on a minute or two less, at least until summer when my skin isn't so damn dry.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Normally I only exfoliate once or twice a week, and it's a lighter scrub and for less time. But I've got to get rid of the scales, man!

In addition to 1-2/week with the Fresh scrub, I do the Oil of Olay microdermabrasion, no more than once a week.

The home peel stuff is great. Even DH who is generally clueless and might take a couple days to notice if I shaved my head, commented that my skin looked "smoother or something". It's supposed to be used weekly, but I think it is going to take nearly a full week to get passed the icky period from the last use. I think I'll wait 2 weeks and then leave it on a minute or two less, at least until summer when my skin isn't so damn dry.
    For now id still recommend a konjac sponge and lots and lots and lots of moisturizer. Like put moisturizer on before bed, wait until it absorbs, then put more on. And then put Vaseline on top to keep it all in. Quit scrubbing yourself! You need to let it heal first.
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Hydrocortisone cream. Seriously. My dermatologist told me to do it and it helps the skin heal quickly. My temples get dry and scaly since they're the only part of my face that isn't greasy and gross and needs lots of exfoliation.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    For now id still recommend a konjac sponge and lots and lots and lots of moisturizer. Like put moisturizer on before bed, wait until it absorbs, then put more on. And then put Vaseline on top to keep it all in. Quit scrubbing yourself! You need to let it heal first.
    I think this is like not popping zits. I know what's best, but I can't do it! It's so gross to have this hard layer of skin on parts of my face, and it's itchy. I've got to get it off!!!

And I feel like moisturizer isn't soaking in because it's trapped on the outside of the scales.

I did have lunch with a friend today and she old me my skin looked great though. And other then the reptilian vileness on my forehead and next to my nose, it does!
  7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I use this on my old lady skin

Exfoliating Scrub | Clinique
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  8. Senior Member
    I love Clinique's scrub or the Laura Mercier one. Laura Mercier's is a finer grit, which I love - so that one is probably my fave.

Definitely don't scrub every day.
  9. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I use the Baiden Mitten for true exfoliation. It is hands down the best exfoliation tool/product I've used. I've been using it for four years now, and I it. My skin, including my face, feels SOOO soft and silky smooth after using it. I use it about 1-2 times a week on average, sometimes 3, but not often.

How to do facial exfoliation with Baiden Mitten

Pax, Aeon