Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearing stars and stripes?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Wearing stars and stripes?

Advertisements
    I've been thinking for awhile now, is it wrong to wear clothing with the American flag printed?

I see a lot of shorts or shirts, even shoes painted/printed/dyed/ect. with the American flag as the decoration. Personally, I think it's cute, but I have never bought or made any clothing items to look like the flag because, I cant decide if it's wrong or okay. I don't mean the flag to have been cut and sewed into clothing articles because THAT is disrespectful.

I would like to know how other people feel about this, because if it's disrespectful, I will not paint the flag onto any clothing. Please tell me how you feel
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I wouldn't wear it for other reasons, but I don't think it's particularly disrespectful to have an old navy print shirt with a flag on it.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think that one is hard to answer because it's really just people's personal opinions. Is it legally wrong? No. Is it morally/ethically wrong? Well, there might be some disagreement there.

Personally I don't think it's wrong or disrespectful to wear American flag themed stuff. But I also don't think it's wrong to disrespect the American flag, and I can't think of anything that someone could do to the American flag that I would find "wrong." So to me, even someone cutting up the flag and making it into clothes isn't disrespectful at all. I might be on an extreme end of the scale but I just don't really care about what people do with a flag.
  4. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

It violates the flag code, but I'm a sucker for men's super short American flag running shorts
  5. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post
    It violates the flag code, but I'm a sucker for men's super short American flag running shorts
    Aren't we all
  6. Banned
    Banned
    I don't wear anything with the flag on it, except maybe a bikini on the 4th of July I just don't find it cute

I'm curious though, how it violates the flag code? I thought that only applies if it's an actual flag.
  7. Senior Member
    I think it's cute and I don't think it's disrespectful at all. I don't personally own any American flag stuff but I like it in the summer on other people.
  8. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    I don't wear anything with the flag on it, except maybe a bikini on the 4th of July I just don't find it cute

I'm curious though, how it violates the flag code? I thought that only applies if it's an actual flag.
    4 UCS 8 (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.

It does only apply to the flag (or part of it), but some of the running shorts are technically American flags with 13 stripes and the stars.

These violate:

These don't:

I like em both, but only with a cut off tee, mustache and crappy American beer
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Thanks for explaining that. I didn't know that. I thought that only applied to actual flags that were made to be flags, and people wore them in any different matter.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think its only a matter of personal taste. Do what you want and donyvlet other peoples opinions concern you.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast