Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I. HATE. RAZOR BURN.

1. Regular Member

I. HATE. RAZOR BURN.

Advertisements
    okay, I have seriously tried EVERYTHING to not get razor burn. Idk if i simply just have sensitive skin (which i dont think i do because this doesnt happen anywhere else. i dont shave my arms but i dont think i have sensitive skin, and it doesnt happen with my underarms when i shave) and there is nothing I can do about it. its os frustrating and I am self concious about it! I dont even want to wear a bikini and i am nineteen years old, i want to be able to wear bikini bottoms without worrying about my razor burn and if it is noticeable. i get paranoid about going to the beach.

I do remember my parents telling me when I was little my doctor prescribed me something for a rash on my legs because she thought I had psoriasis, but i dont think thats the issue here.... and i dont think i have psoriasis

Goosebumps make it worse, and i get cold really easily, so if i shave and get goosebumps later that day, it irritates my skin so bad and all those red bumps appear mainly on my inner thigh and bikini line. especially if i have jean shorts on to rub on my inner thighs or anywhere. I have dark hair, and dark hair is usually thicker so anyone like me, please help

Anyone else have this issue and is there ANYTHING that fixed the problem...

or should i just go to a dermatologist???
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I would find an alternative to shaving and/or see a dermatologist.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If you've been diagnosed with psoriasis, why do you think that you don't have it? And while it may begin with a shaving issue, psoriasis can flare from the mildest of skin injury; a mosquito bite can cause a flare. Your skin may even be reacting to whatever cremes/gels you're using.

I would definitely recommend seeing a dermatologist, just to reaffirm or eliminate that you have psoriasis and you can move on from there.

But I will say, I find that inexpensive Suave hair conditioner to be the best thing to use - cheaper and easier on the skin than shaving cremes and gels.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Deodorant is a popular trick used amongst dancers (professional and naughty alike!) Just apply it to your bikini area after shaving. (Personally I prefer the solid kind for my bikini area)

Another neat trick I learned was to use neosporin (or bactine) as a 'shaving cream'. It totally gunks up your razor, so be prepared for that. But it leaves your bikini line baby-soft.
  5. Senior Member
    So it's on your legs, or mostly just your bikini line? Just want to make sure, because the bikini line I have suggestions but if it's every where you shave then I'm not so savvy on that type of sensitivity. Razor bumps on bikini areas can be pretty common, I've learned what works for me and I'm able to manage it well. I use a shave gel by Aveeno it's called "therapeutic" I believe and helps calm the skin and prevent razor bumps. Even the WAY you shave is important. Be really gentle and don't push down too hard, it'll still be a close shave. Then you MUST use lotion afterwards, and every day. This is what helps protects the skin from clothing rubbing against it.
  6. Senior Member
    I use a shaving gel, not cream and that helps. Also make sure your razor is SHARP. I use a new one every week, or as soon as the "moisturizing strip" starts going. As soon as I'm done I slather on baby oil. If I don't do it immediately, it gets irritated. Then I ONLY use original baby lotion on that area. (No fragrances, no fancy lotions, nothing).

Of course that is what works for me. If you are consistently having this problem, try a dermatologist.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    If you've been diagnosed with psoriasis, why do you think that you don't have it? And while it may begin with a shaving issue, psoriasis can flare from the mildest of skin injury; a mosquito bite can cause a flare. Your skin may even be reacting to whatever cremes/gels you're using.

I would definitely recommend seeing a dermatologist, just to reaffirm or eliminate that you have psoriasis and you can move on from there.

But I will say, I find that inexpensive Suave hair conditioner to be the best thing to use - cheaper and easier on the skin than shaving cremes and gels.
    I say I don't have it because it was when i was really young and it wasnt a confirmatory diagnosis. she couldnt really figure out what it was so she prescribed me something that aids in the help of psoriasis, and i know that disease is always in you and i havent had anything like it. so who knows, hopefully the dermatologist can help! (: and yes, I will have to switch up what I have been using! thank you
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atodee View Post
    Deodorant is a popular trick used amongst dancers (professional and naughty alike!) Just apply it to your bikini area after shaving. (Personally I prefer the solid kind for my bikini area)

Another neat trick I learned was to use neosporin (or bactine) as a 'shaving cream'. It totally gunks up your razor, so be prepared for that. But it leaves your bikini line baby-soft.
    great ideas! i never thought of either, i will try that next time i shave, even tomorrow!
  9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    So it's on your legs, or mostly just your bikini line? Just want to make sure, because the bikini line I have suggestions but if it's every where you shave then I'm not so savvy on that type of sensitivity. Razor bumps on bikini areas can be pretty common, I've learned what works for me and I'm able to manage it well. I use a shave gel by Aveeno it's called "therapeutic" I believe and helps calm the skin and prevent razor bumps. Even the WAY you shave is important. Be really gentle and don't push down too hard, it'll still be a close shave. Then you MUST use lotion afterwards, and every day. This is what helps protects the skin from clothing rubbing against it.
    Thank you! and it is basically the bikini line and my inner things and around there, pretty much where the lining of clothing rubs, so i will get razor burn, even when i am mosturising every day
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emily511 View Post
    I use a shaving gel, not cream and that helps. Also make sure your razor is SHARP. I use a new one every week, or as soon as the "moisturizing strip" starts going. As soon as I'm done I slather on baby oil. If I don't do it immediately, it gets irritated. Then I ONLY use original baby lotion on that area. (No fragrances, no fancy lotions, nothing).

Of course that is what works for me. If you are consistently having this problem, try a dermatologist.
    Thank you! i will try the baby oil also
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast