Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete make up noob, I know nothing, Help please

1. sassypants
    sassypants

Complete make up noob, I know nothing, Help please

Advertisements
    I am looking to kind of start wearing make up on a regular basis. The thing is, I don't even know what to get. I have some cheap mascara, and Urban decay's 24/7 eye pencil (black), but I even fail at putting that on. I am looking to just look a little bit more polished as I have a lot of major meetings coming up for work/school.

so
    -what are some basic products you would recomend?
    -how do you deal with deep under eye circles?
    -how do you deal with dry, red face?
    -any tips, tricks, good starting products you would reccomend?

To give you an idea what I am working with here is a pic of me

rocket_liz is my wifey
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would get some CC or BB cream. That will help even your skin tone. Some concealer for under eyes, If you can't use the black eyeliner try a dark brown and go with a nutral color pallet. Youtube is very helpful .

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Definitely BB creme! I always like to go for a tinted moisturizer since my face is always so dry. I like light coverage so it is perfect. I just put some concealer over whatever undesired spots I have and then polish it off with the moisturizer and it usually blends... from one makeup amateur to another.
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    BB creme! If you have dry skin, try a moisturiser every night before bed. My mother does this every night and she's got some of the smoothest skin! Also try under-eye concealer. If I have trouble spots I use a concealer with salcylic (sp?) acid in it as that works well for breakouts on my skin. I don't know too much about makeup so I use youtube a lot too!
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Oooh, also, you can always go to a mall or ulta, etc. Ask a make up artist just for some basic tips and maybe purchase an inexpensive foundation or something you'll use every day that will be easy to start off with. I had no idea about how to apply eyeliner and I remember going to the Clinique booth in Dillard's years ago which was super helpful!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have no idea because I also fail at makeup but I just wanted to say I think you're beautiful.

My daughter also doesn't wear a lot of makeup but she really likes this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/macshadowcombos for eye shadow combo and makeup ideas.
  7. Senior Member
    If you want to try eyeliner, I love Maybelline Eye Studio Master Drama Creme Pencil. It's a creme, not a pencil and SO easy to use. I used to have so much trouble with eyeliner, but this one is easy for me.

I agree with the others on the BB creme. It's super easy as well and makes a big difference for as easy as it is to use.

Aside from that, I feel lotion should be a staple of everyone's skincare regimen. I rarely use facewash - I usually just use a washcloth rinsed in hot water to open up my pores, pat dry, and follow with a good lotion.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Go to Sephora, they'll do your face and give you tons of advice plus you can ask for samples of almost everything and best of all you can return EVERYTHING even if you used it and didn't like it or whatever.
  9. Senior Member
    Look up "no makeup makeup" tutorials on YouTube, I think that would be really helpful for you.

I'd go with BB cream or a tinted moisturizer for your skin, it looks pretty clear so that'll do enough to even your skintone without looking heavy. Personally I can't use pencil eyeliners, I can never get a nice line with them. The way I learned was to use dark eyeshadow with an eyeliner brush, you can easily find those things at the drugstore for cheap. Angled brushes are easier to use IMO but I guess that's personal preference.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggleWiggle~ View Post
    I am looking to kind of start wearing make up on a regular basis. The thing is, I don't even know what to get. I have some cheap mascara, and Urban decay's 24/7 eye pencil (black), but I even fail at putting that on. I am looking to just look a little bit more polished as I have a lot of major meetings coming up for work/school.

so
    -what are some basic products you would recomend?
    -how do you deal with deep under eye circles?
    -how do you deal with dry, red face?
    -any tips, tricks, good starting products you would reccomend?

To give you an idea what I am working with here is a pic of me

Ok, here is my professional opinion. To look pulled together but without wearing a lot or feeling uncomfortable wear mascara, lipgloss/stick and powder if your skin is not completely clear.

I would suggest you get into a routine of a skin care regiment where you wash, tone and moisturize your face at least twice a day (morning when you wake up and night before bed). Especially if you are going to start wearing makeup. I use clinique and love it because while it is not formulated for just me, I can get each product for my skin type. Make sure your makeup is also the right formula for your skin type (like if your skin is dry something that provides moisture, if it is oily an oil free makeup etc).

I am of the complete belief (and practice what I preach) that the cheap brands for eyeliner, lip liner and mascara are just as good as expensive brands. Wet and Wild I have found to be one of the best eyeliners. NYX also is a great brand. I would recommend if you are new to applying and getting the right colors, shades etc for you that you start with items that are cheaper.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast