Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grooming eyebrows

1. Senior Member

Grooming eyebrows

Advertisements
    I've never had my eyebrows professionally groomed or shaped. Been thinking about going to the Beauty Bar in Ulta and get them all neatly done. BUT I'm super nervous about it. The waxing sounds awful and so does the tweezing. Which is better?
    PLUS, I'm very fair and afraid that my eye area will be red afterwards. A fair complexion friend told me that she didn't leave her house for 3 days after getting her eyebrows done because she was so red!

Thoughts? Hints? Any info would be appreciated.
    TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    I've never had my eyebrows waxed (I barely even grow eyebrows so I don't need to) but I'd be super concerned if you're so red you can't leave the house for 3 days lol. You're always gonna be red immediately after but if the person knows what they're doing and you don't have an allergic reaction or something it should look normal after a few hours.

I'd rather get waxed than plucked, especially if you don't normally bother with your brows and there's a lot to be done. I don't think plucking hurts necessarily, but I definitely would not want to lay there for that long while a stranger plucks hairs out of my face. I'd rather get waxed and be done in two minutes.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redchicken View Post
    I've never had my eyebrows professionally groomed or shaped. Been thinking about going to the Beauty Bar in Ulta and get them all neatly done. BUT I'm super nervous about it. The waxing sounds awful and so does the tweezing. Which is better?
    PLUS, I'm very fair and afraid that my eye area will be red afterwards. A fair complexion friend told me that she didn't leave her house for 3 days after getting her eyebrows done because she was so red!

Thoughts? Hints? Any info would be appreciated.
    TIA!
    I would have them tweezed if it were me doing it. The first couple times hurt a bit but after that it doesn't really. Have a pro do it the first time and than after that you can do touch ups your self by just cleaning up the hairs as they grow in.

Ulta or Sephora (i think sephora does it but not sure) would be your best bet if you don't find a licensed esthetician to do it (everyone has to be licensed to do anything cosmetic/hair wise in NV, assuming you are still in NV).

But yeah your brow area can be pretty red for a while. It is extremely normal for that to happen. Especially if you have never had it done before.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    I would have them tweezed if it were me doing it. The first couple times hurt a bit but after that it doesn't really. Have a pro do it the first time and than after that you can do touch ups your self by just cleaning up the hairs as they grow in.

Ulta or Sephora (i think sephora does it but not sure) would be your best bet if you don't find a licensed esthetician to do it (everyone has to be licensed to do anything cosmetic/hair wise in NV, assuming you are still in NV).

But yeah your brow area can be pretty red for a while. It is extremely normal for that to happen. Especially if you have never had it done before.
    Yup still in NV. Good memory!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I barely started getting my brows waxed back in October. I go to the Benefit Brow Bar at Ulta and absolutely LOVE it! I was also wary just like you but when I went in, my esthetician was great. She asked me what type of look I was going for (fuller brows vs thinner, if I just wanted them shaped or if I'm the type to use brow products, etc). She did a great job and the waxing didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. They tweeze the stray hairs that didn't catch in the wax and that actually hurts more. Afterwards, they nicely massage your brows with a moisturizer (not sure exactly what it is). I've yet to turn red after getting them waxed and they feel amazing afterwards.

I recommend giving them a try.
  6. Senior Member
    I get my brows done all the time cause I suck at doing it myself.. the hairs grow in like weird directions and need to be cut and stuff

I'd recommend threading. If you can find a place that does that, cause it's really quick and relatively painless. I've done threading since day one pretty much, I'm usually only red for a few hours then it fades.
    If you're too proud to follow rivers, how are you ever gonna find the sea?
  7. Regular Member
    I love waxing! I'd rather get all the hairs pulled out at once (waxing) instead of one at a time (tweezing). Yeah, it hurts a little, but it's quick and totally worth it, and makes a big difference! Personally, the area underneath my brows is the most painful to be waxed, but above and in the middle doesn't hurt at all. I did get pretty red my first time, but now I'm usually back to normal by the time I get home. Definitely recommend.
  8. Senior Member
    Id go for waxing over plucking. It is just a few "ouches" instead of dozens. And there is no way you should be read for days. It sounds like she had a bad waxer who maybe used wax that was too hot and burned her. You may be read for half an hour, or *maybe* an hour. I often used to get mine done on my lunch break and by the time I was back at my desk, they were barely red at all so no one could tell.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    I'm super fair skinned and get them waxed every 3 weeks or so. It does hurt at first, but not as bad as you think probably My lady rubs a cream on immediately after, then plucks, then does the moisturizer thing again. A few times I have been red after but most of the time you can hardly tell.
  10. Regular Member
    I have very sensitive skin and have had mine threaded and waxed professionally. I personally prefer the waxing--it lasts longer for me and the pain doesn't seem to last as long either. The first couple of times hurt--but it was more of an irritation than an actual "ouch". Threading always hurts me, it didn't matter how many times i had been before, my eyes are watering from pain afterwards.

Also, don't be afraid to tell them that you want something fixed if you don't like the shape or if one side has a different shape than the other. Sometimes it takes a few times looking in the mirror and explaining what you want to get it right.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast