Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How do you keep your clothing nice?

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

How do you keep your clothing nice?

Advertisements
    Background: I am a jeans, sweats, tee shirts kind of person and in the past I haven't taken very good care of my clothes. I try to wash them per directions but other than that, nothing special. I also don't have a lot of clothes, so what I do have gets worn and washed frequently. I'm also fairly rough on things. We camp, are active in general, and I don't generally take my clothes into consideration.

In recent years I've discovered the wonderment of very soft tee shirt materials and light weight zip ups. I like to cover up from the sun, but it's really hot here so things have to be thin material. I've noticed these things last about one year in my wardrobe before there are too many holes to ignore.

I've recently added some new items to my clothing collection that I really love and was wondering if there's anything I can do to prolong their life. So my question is for those of you who take nice care of your clothing, do you have any tips? I'm wondering if this is just sort of inevitable and I need to get used to replacing my clothes every year or so or if I need to expand my wardrobe so I don't wear stuff as frequently.
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I try to keep stuff nice but I love some of my things too much too.

You said you follow instructions so that's good. I put almost everything on tumble dry low if I have to dry it, because drying is pretty tough on clothes.

I know you said you're active with camping etc. but if you set aside what I call "grubbies" for stuff like that it can keep your other stuff from getting damaged if it's not meant for that kind of wear and tear. When I'm doing outdoors kind of stuff I don't wear delicate fabrics etc. , I have more durable clothes for that. I get that thin material is nice to protect from the sun without adding a lot of extra heat, there are technical fabrics that are good for that but they may cost a bit more.

Actually quality can make a pretty big difference too. Stores like Forever 21 etc. aren't really mean to last forever, they're cheap and trendy and pretty much only meant to be worn for one season. So if you buy a bunch of stuff like that you probably will end up replacing a lot of your clothes yearly. It varies of course, I have some Forever 21 stuff that's lasted quite a few years because I really baby it, but I can tell a big difference between the quality/durability of those clothes and the pieces I've bought from higher end stores.
  3. Senior Member
    I rarely use the dryer. I pretty much hang everything to dry, except towels and linens and old ugly t-shirts. Wash in cold, hang dry, hand wash delicates. My clothes seem to be in pretty good shape. Like Tojai said, there are some things that just aren't meant to last longer than a few seasons.
  4. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    I'm awful about treating my clothes with special care (unless they're hand wash or dry clean only, which the latter is a pain in the butt). I don't bother to do whites and darks and instead throw it all in cold. I do however zip up pants and button them and zip up jackets so the zippers are less likely to snag anything.
  5. Senior Member
    I wash everything in cold water on delicate and then lay it flat to dry. Well, not everything, but anything remotely nice.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Thanks everyone for the tips! They actually really helped, I have been in sort of a mindless laundry mode for years, and almost everything you all mentioned are things I remember my childhood friends doing but I never understood why because I didn't value clothing at all so I didn't care if it looked worn or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I try to keep stuff nice but I love some of my things too much too.

You said you follow instructions so that's good. I put almost everything on tumble dry low if I have to dry it, because drying is pretty tough on clothes.

I know you said you're active with camping etc. but if you set aside what I call "grubbies" for stuff like that it can keep your other stuff from getting damaged if it's not meant for that kind of wear and tear. When I'm doing outdoors kind of stuff I don't wear delicate fabrics etc. , I have more durable clothes for that. I get that thin material is nice to protect from the sun without adding a lot of extra heat, there are technical fabrics that are good for that but they may cost a bit more.

Actually quality can make a pretty big difference too. Stores like Forever 21 etc. aren't really mean to last forever, they're cheap and trendy and pretty much only meant to be worn for one season. So if you buy a bunch of stuff like that you probably will end up replacing a lot of your clothes yearly. It varies of course, I have some Forever 21 stuff that's lasted quite a few years because I really baby it, but I can tell a big difference between the quality/durability of those clothes and the pieces I've bought from higher end stores.
    I definitely do need to designate some camping/get dirty clothes because usually I have so few items that they all get worn no matter what. I'm hoping with this current shopping fling I'm on, I can use some of my old stuff for the more rough uses. I don't feel like I'm buying cheap clothes, which is part of why I want to preserve them more. For instance I tend to shop at REI or similar places, where one sweater or pair of pants is $40-100. I just bought a zip up hoodie to replace my old holey one, and it was $40 for a light weight zip up, it's not a ton of money but it's delicate material and I just generally only buy a pair of pants, sweater type thing and a few shirts every two years or so I think I need to start getting a bigger collection. DH has taken over our entire walk in closest plus the two guest closets with his stuff, and I keep everything I own in my childhood dresser

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    I rarely use the dryer. I pretty much hang everything to dry, except towels and linens and old ugly t-shirts. Wash in cold, hang dry, hand wash delicates. My clothes seem to be in pretty good shape. Like Tojai said, there are some things that just aren't meant to last longer than a few seasons.
    That is such a good point to hang dry! We have a washer/dry combo so it's really easy for me to set it and forget it, and return and everything is dry but I can easily program it for no dry time and hang things. It's certainly dry enough air here that things would dry quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    I'm awful about treating my clothes with special care (unless they're hand wash or dry clean only, which the latter is a pain in the butt). I don't bother to do whites and darks and instead throw it all in cold. I do however zip up pants and button them and zip up jackets so the zippers are less likely to snag anything.
    That is fantastic advice. I just replaced my zip up hoodie because the old one was full of small holes...now I know why

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I wash everything in cold water on delicate and then lay it flat to dry. Well, not everything, but anything remotely nice.
    I'm going to try air drying! I know MIL air dries a lot of her stuff and her clothes are similar in style to mine but always look way nice
  7. Senior Member
    I second washing everything in cold water on delicate and hanging everything to dry. It's what I do with EVERYTHING and I am somewhat of a clotheswhore