Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics Added - I'm soooo excited and I need some fashion advice!!

1. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

Pics Added - I'm soooo excited and I need some fashion advice!!

Advertisements
    Next weekend I'm going to be meeting a friend (a very fashionable male friend) in NYC for a couple of Broadway shows over the weekend. We have 2nd row tickets to see Neil Patrick Harris as Hedwig in the new production of Hedwig and the Angry Inch and we are seeing The Book of Mormon as well but the seats are up in the Mezz. I want to look really classy for both shows but especially for Hedwig because we are going out to a suuuuuuuper fancy dinner before hand as well.

Please, please, please help me pick out an outfit!!!

Welcome - What Real Women Look Like

I don't have a current picture of my body where I'm not holding a baby so that is the link for my body specs on my body gallery to give you an idea of what might look okay on my body type.

TIA!
    Last edited by Lady Door Of Arch; 04-27-2014 at 01:06 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    This is a super broad question so it is hard to answer. Can you maybe post a few choices and have us give some opinions?

If not, then maybe include info like budget, what colors you like, what parts of your body you like to emphasize or hide, any other preferences (like that you prefer sleeves or don't like anything above the knee, or whatever). I love a good virtual shop, but need some guidelines!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    That said, I have this dress, but in black leather, and it is so amazingly flattering and I think would be good for your body type. Since it's my new favoritre dress and I wore it for the first time last week and got a zillion compliments, I thought I'd share. It's no longer available in the leather (and was super spendy when it was, though I got it at a crazy good sale price), the shape should be just as flattering.

I love that brand, and when looking for my dress, I found this one as well. The crisscross at the waist would flatter your figure, I think. I kind of want this dress now!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    That said, I have this dress, but in black leather, and it is so amazingly flattering and I think would be good for your body type. Since it's my new favoritre dress and I wore it for the first time last week and got a zillion compliments, I thought I'd share. It's no longer available in the leather (and was super spendy when it was, though I got it at a crazy good sale price), the shape should be just as flattering.

I love that brand, and when looking for my dress, I found this one as well. The crisscross at the waist would flatter your figure, I think. I kind of want this dress now!
    I love both of these! Here are some similar options that are a little less expensive. Belk is a big department store in the south (similar to Dillards, Nordstrom, etc) if you're not familiar. I really like Adrianna Papell dresses; they're flattering and classic. I wear a 4 in them and I'm 5'5 and weigh about 125lbs (ok, 127 this morning ) to give you an idea of sizing.

Adrianna Papell Sleeveless Allover Lace Sheath Dress - Belk.com

Adrianna Papell Elbow-Sleeve Allover Lace Sheath Dress - Belk.co

Lauren Ralph Lauren Lace Boatneck Dress - Belk.com
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

This is a super broad question so it is hard to answer. Can you maybe post a few choices and have us give some opinions?

If not, then maybe include info like budget, what colors you like, what parts of your body you like to emphasize or hide, any other preferences (like that you prefer sleeves or don't like anything above the knee, or whatever). I love a good virtual shop, but need some guidelines!
    Excellent points! Budget somewhere around the $100 mark. I've budgeted $1000 for the entire trip not including airfare and hotel so I could go up to $200 if necessary. I have awesome boobies thanks to a reduction I had in high school, so I like to emphasis them and they balance out my hips because I've got pretty big hips from having Quinn. I prefer short sleeves to sleeveless but dislike long sleeves all together. Six inches above the knee would be too high but within that range would be alright. I only own one pair of heals and they are two inch white pumps I've gotten rid of all the rest of my heels because DH is the same height as me and neither of us like it when I'm taller than him. I think I will go take some pics of what I have in my closet now...

These are both amazing! I love the second one and I think you are right about the crisscross being flattering on my body type!

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I love both of these! Here are some similar options that are a little less expensive. Belk is a big department store in the south (similar to Dillards, Nordstrom, etc) if you're not familiar. I really like Adrianna Papell dresses; they're flattering and classic. I wear a 4 in them and I'm 5'5 and weigh about 125lbs (ok, 127 this morning ) to give you an idea of sizing.

Adrianna Papell Sleeveless Allover Lace Sheath Dress - Belk.com

Adrianna Papell Elbow-Sleeve Allover Lace Sheath Dress - Belk.co

Lauren Ralph Lauren Lace Boatneck Dress - Belk.com
    All three of these are gorgeous as well! I love the middle one but they haven't got it in my size. I'm going to look on other websites for something similar I think.

Thanks ladies! Okay off to take pictures of what I have.
  6. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

Okay these are really the only two that I think are worthy of being called "fancy" and they're really not that fancy.... HELP!

7. Senior Member
    I can't tell the material, but if those are cotton they aren't dressy enough, IMO. What stores are near you? I would go to a large department store, Nordstrom, Dillards, Etc and look in their cocktail dress section. Really anything there should be appropriate.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  8. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I can't tell the material, but if those are cotton they aren't dressy enough, IMO. What stores are near you? I would go to a large department store, Nordstrom, Dillards, Etc and look in their cocktail dress section. Really anything there should be appropriate.
    Both of these are a slinky/ stretchy fabric. I'm in the UK so I've looked at Next, Debenhams, H&M, and Primark. I went looking today but it's already pretty warm here so all the fashions are for summer and I'm worried it's not warm enough in NYC for that yet? I don't know. All the dresses are like pastel colors or neons and short, short, short!! I don't know what fashion is like in the States right now but the 80s is back in force here! Like belly shirts and pleather... Totally the opposite of flattering on me!
  9. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

Buy Closet Blue Panel Detail Dress from the Next UK online shop

I kind of like this one but I'm afraid the pattern will be too loud on my body and I couldn't find it in the store to try on.

It seems like everything else I find that might work well on my body is just black.

Buy Textured Jersey Dress from the Next UK online shop

Buy Textured Dress from the Next UK online shop

ETA: http://www.bhs.co.uk/en/bhuk/product...022?bi=1&ps=40

I tried this one on today and it's my back up. It fits me well and looks alright but I'm not in love with it.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

The whole dress is in black leather? grrrrrrrr....
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast