Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Colored stones on engagement rings.

1. Senior Member

Colored stones on engagement rings.

Advertisements
    How does everybody feel about colored stones on engagement rings as the main stone?

Personally I feel like a diamond or clear stone is traditional and I never question if it is an engagement ring or not (plus I generally like the look!). DB is absolutely against diamonds and could "settle" for a clear stone but prefers gemstones.

SO... what do you think?
  2. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Why is he against diamonds?
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post
    thats what i was thinking lol its not like were talking blood diamonds here....

personally I'm not a fan of colored ones in an engagement ring because it always makes me think a single person just put their ring on the wrong finger...
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If you don't like it, then its wrong for you. If someone else likes it, then it is right for her.
    But i also think that "tradition" is a myth when it comes to engagement rings and diamonds.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think it depends on priorities. If it's important to you that other people think it's an engagement ring, then a diamond/clear stone would be a higher priority than someone who doesn't care about outside opinions.

Agree that why he is against diamonds is important. I have a lot of issues with the diamond industry so any future diamonds I get will be lab-created ... but there are also plenty of clear stones that aren't diamonds available.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I used to be someone who HATED colored stones in an engagement ring. Then DF proposed with a diamond and sapphire ring and I fell in love with it.
  7. Senior Member
    I think a lot of them are really beautiful but I'm glad mine is a diamond. I just like how sparkly it is and I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at it. It's never going to go out of style, I'm never going to decide I don't like the color anymore, it matches everything I wear with it.
  8. Senior Member
    I don't really have an opinion on way or the other. It's someone else's jewelry and they need to do what pleases them and their esthetics.

You and DH need to work out what's best for you. If his feelings about diamonds are because of the ethics, you can buy estate jewelry and not have that issue. I adore my ring, which is from ~1910, and I didn't have to worry about how it was sourced.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post
    He's got a million reasons, most of which I respect... Mainly it has to do with De Beers and the whole conflict diamonds scenario. He doesn't trust that any diamond can actually be certified to be 100% conflict free and not contributing to criminal organizations. The other large reason is that he believes that women only want diamonds because of clever advertising dating back to the 1950s (I believe) and he does not want to be a part of the "every girl needs a diamond engagement ring" cliche.

The only good thing is that a white sapphire is about 1/3 the price of a diamond... I was looking at rings today and the 1 carat sapphire was MUCH cheaper than the .2 carat diamond.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    thats what i was thinking lol its not like were talking blood diamonds here....

personally I'm not a fan of colored ones in an engagement ring because it always makes me think a single person just put their ring on the wrong finger...
    My sentiments exactly!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast