Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: favorite curly hair products

1. Senior Member

favorite curly hair products

Advertisements
    I have thick curly hair and have been struggling to find a good product that enhances and holds the curls and or in addition something to prevent frizz. I also don't like crunchy hairspray to hold my curls. Summer is coming and the frizz will be extra crazy when the humidity hits. Thanks in advance.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace." Tom Ziglar.
  2. Senior Member
    Ok. I have curly hair. I spent years looking for drug store stuff and it doesn't work. I try very hard to be ... frugal but my hair is the one place i no longer skimp.
    http://www.ouidad.com/Climate-Control

I also get my hair cut in Ouidad certified salons. Its expensive as crap but its worth it to me.

You can get a sample kit.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I Eelizah
  4. Senior Member
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilyoyo1 View Post
    Ok. I have curly hair. I spent years looking for drug store stuff and it doesn't work. I try very hard to be ... frugal but my hair is the one place i no longer skimp.
    Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel - No Frizz for Curly Hair

I also get my hair cut in Ouidad certified salons. Its expensive as crap but its worth it to me.

You can get a sample kit.
    I see this says heat activated. Do you blow dry? If I do, frizz x 20 even with a diffuser. Wondering if it would works without heat.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace." Tom Ziglar.
  6. Senior Member
    I love that this can be used on dry hair too. Do you use the other products in the line or is this one enough? Definitely going to give it a try.
  7. Senior Member
    Do you use regular shampoo/conditioner? I use MyDevaCurl | Calling All Curls I would suggest hitting up Curly Hair lots of great info for all types of curlies!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I use a cocktail

This is going to be a long post. I have long (mid-back) thick, mid-coarse, Italian, curly hair.

It varies, I'm always trying new things.... right now I use:

Fructis Triple Nutrition Detangling Double Care
    - Right out of the shower, concentrating on mid-length and ends
    - Helps keep ends looking polished without extra gel/mousse
    - Acts like a leave-in conditioner

Pantene Ultimate 10 BB Creme
    - Apply 2-3 pumps all over
    - All over smoothing

Marc Anthony Strictly Curls - Curls Envy
    - Apply all over to promote curls
    - I'm not sure how to measure... I'd probably say enough to fill 1/2 to 3/4 of a golf ball

***Let hair dry naturally for 10-15mins

Sometimes I add mousse, but not always. I never use "curling mousse" ... I don't like the texture I end up with. I usually go for a volumizing variety from Aussie/Herbal Essences/etc.

Pantene Curl Shaping Gel
    - Apply lightly all over
    - I usually add a quater-sized dollop and then add some water from the tap to thin it out (to avoid sticky/stiff hair) before I apply
    - Repeat the above step until I lightly coat all over

***Then I diffuse, starting at drying the roots, lifting them up, then the rest until my hair is 90% dry.

Tresemme Tres Two Ultra Fine Mist
    - I exaggerate (lift) roots and spray around my crown to keep hair from falling flat
    - Lightly spray the rest to stop frizz from forming (hairspray is light anyway)

Sometimes I have to re-wet and start over with more gel, diffusing and spray. Depends on the day Curly hair never looks the same (at least not mine) day to day.

Here's what my natural curl looks like:
    (Excuse my ends in the first picture... I really, really needed a trim. That's what dead hair looks like! )

Unfortunately I've never found a one-product fixes all for my hair. Thankfully, all of these products are cheap! Good luck!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have probably half of a Sally's in my bathroom cabinet

Disclaimer: I'm mixed and have rather thick, curly hair that is prone to giving Diana Ross a run for her money if I fail to do something with it in a timely fashion.

I have to deep condition on a weekly basis in the summer to keep frizz at bay and I usually just use coconut oil and this will sound grosser than it actually is-- during the summer I deep condition and shampoo to get the coconut oil out but that's it for shampoo for the week.

Then I use a leave-in conditioner followed by an oil based cream to seal in the moisture (I use Shea Moisture Curl Milk).

I'm still just figuring out what to do with my hair so it's been a work in progress but the conditioning followed by an oil to seal it has done wonders for my curl definition. I can even see if I missed a section because the curls frizz rather than becoming a curl.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ldk123 View Post
    I see this says heat activated. Do you blow dry? If I do, frizz x 20 even with a diffuser. Wondering if it would works without heat.
    I don't dry my hair unless I am going to an event, work meeting etc. I also get the curl quencher shampoo and conditioner.
    If you want to get it let me know and I'll explain all the stuff the explained when I had the hair cut the first time, like the best way to apply, combing, touching etc.

When I found Ouidad, I just got the product. and really liked it so I found the salon. I knew it was expensive and figure either....I'd hate it and it would grow out or I'd love it and be spending $90-$100 a hair cut. Fortunately I don't get my hair cut every six weeks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast