Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALS graduation

1. Regular Member

Help ALS graduation

Advertisements
    Has anyone gone to an ALS graduation? DH says I'm supposed to wear a dress - an evening dress but it doesn't have to be a gown and "nothing too short." I really don't know what to wear and I don't want to spend a lot of money. Also, we're in England so it needs to be able to be shipped to an APO or if anyone knows of any good stores in England. I was thinking about this
    Strapless Combo Dress | FOREVER21 - 2000037935

Do you think it's too casual or too short? Has anyone gone and have any ideas?

TIA
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I would say too short. Its been a long time since I went to hubby's, but if he says evening dress that isn't too short, then I would go with what he says.

You want something that is at the knee or no more than an inch above or longer.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Moderator

I've gone- the spouses' dress ranged from cocktail dresses to jeans. I think the one you linked is not too casual, but maybe too short. It could also vary by command, but the one I went to had majority of spouses dressed very casually. I'm positive the girls in cocktail dresses felt overdressed. This is what I wore:

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hey, I went to DH's earlier this month.

That dress is a little short. Basically think of something that you would wear to a family wedding or someone's high school/college graduation in the evening. I ended up wearing a black belted dress that went down to the top of my knees. Their class was told to make sure that the tops of the dresses were appropriate too so basically keep it classy.

Congrats to you and your DH, ALS was a ridiculous 6 weeks in our house

ETA: Check the invitation, ours specified that women should be semi-formal.
    Last edited by Jazmine; 05-23-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Adding something
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    I've gone- the spouses' dress ranged from cocktail dresses to jeans. I think the one you linked is not too casual, but maybe too short. It could also vary by command, but the one I went to had majority of spouses dressed very casually. I'm positive the girls in cocktail dresses felt overdressed. This is what I wore:

That's nice, I was thinking about just wearing a summer dress or a nice shirt with leggings like in your pic but DH says I have to wear an evening dress s

Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    Hey, I went to DH's earlier this month.

That dress is a little short. Basically think of something that you would wear to a family wedding or someone's high school/college graduation in the evening. I ended up wearing a black belted dress that went down to the top of my knees. Their class was told to make sure that the tops of the dresses were appropriate too so basically keep it classy.

Congrats to you and your DH, ALS was a ridiculous 6 weeks in our house

ETA: Check the invitation, ours specified that women should be semi-formal.
    OMG, yes ALS has been insane and it's only been about two weeks .. I'm so tired! I can't believe they get so much work, DH is literally busy all day everyday and volunteers on the weekends!

Thanks for your input, it's so nice to find a classy dress these days. The one I posted was probably the most modest on the website.
  6. Senior Member
    Me: Germany - Him: other side of the world

Maybe try and check out Asos or Lipsy. I don't know if they ship to APO but they defs both ship to the UK. They both got super short party dresses but if you look through you'll find some nice classy dresses too. We got my sister's graduation dress from there
    PCS time is getting closer. Let our Europe adventures begin!
  7. Senior Member
    I was told it had to reach my knees and couldn't ahow too much cleavage or skin and I couldn't find anything so DB picked my dreaa out for me. I got it at forever 21 and it was the last one left. Good luck!
  8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by colry1607 View Post
    That's nice, I was thinking about just wearing a summer dress or a nice shirt with leggings like in your pic but DH says I have to wear an evening dress s

OMG, yes ALS has been insane and it's only been about two weeks .. I'm so tired! I can't believe they get so much work, DH is literally busy all day everyday and volunteers on the weekends!

Thanks for your input, it's so nice to find a classy dress these days. The one I posted was probably the most modest on the website.
    They must have specific dress code then. DH's didn't, everyone was confused. Do you have a White House Black Market? A lot of their stuff is pretty modest and classy, but also expensive. Maybe Ross/TJMaxx/Marshalls?
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Definitely find something longer.

ALS has changed so much. It use to be an in-residence course.
  10. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    Definitely find something longer.

ALS has changed so much. It use to be an in-residence course.
    I think it still is, if it's offered at your installation. Since we're at an Army Post, for example, DH had to travel to Shaw AFB in SC for his. But the majority of people in his class were stationed at Shaw so it wasn't a TDY for them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast