Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with damaged hair

1. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries

Help with damaged hair

Advertisements
    I know I've asked this before, ok maybe a few times, but I'm getting desperate. Nothing seems to be helping and big chunks of my hair are still breaking off.

My natural color is that icky flat brown/dark blonde color so I get a full head of foil highlights about every 8-12 weeks and a trim. My hair grows super fast so I actually could be going a lot more often than that because of my roots.

But here's my dilemma. My hair is SO damaged. Like I'll take my ends in the tip of my fingers and the hair will just fall off into my hand. And I was straightening my bangs the other day and a huge chunk broke off into my flat iron.

I use Matrix Biolage Fortetherapie shampoo and conditioner, it's specifically for damaged, chemically treated hair. I had a Moroccan Oil treatment done at the salon recently but it only lasted about 3 days and then was back to breaking off. I try really hard to limit heat exposure...I NEVER blow dry my hair. I try to wear my hood up or a hat whenever I go outside. I'm very gentle with my hair. I do not use hairspray or any products.

What else can I do??? My roots are so grown out right now I can't even take it, but I'm too scared to go get it dyed.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I love the dove shampoos and conditioners and I think my mom used to do a honey and eggs treatment to help her hair.
  3. Senior Member
    Yeah, maybe try some natural at-home remedies. Olive oil and honey maybe?
    Camster is the best wifey ever
  4. Senior Member
    treatments. look to see if theres a paul mitchell salon (or a school it'll be cheaper) around you. paul mitchell has a treatment for their awapuhi wild ginger line and its awesome. its called the awapuhi keratriplex treatment. it reduces damage by 80 %. getting that once a month or just after you get your highlights will help.

if you cant get to a salon try moroccan oil. its kind of pricey but i love it.
    i use this treatment about once a week and leave it in for 5-10 minutes Moroccanoil
    and then after i shower i use this oil Moroccanoil

ETA: when you go to get your hair done, have you noticed if she puts the bleach on all of your hair? make sure she only puts it on your roots. pulling it through is gonna increase damage
  5. Moderator

I'm using an Argan Oil Masque right now- you use it like a conditioner but leave it in for 7-10 minutes before rinsing out. And then I use a leave-in spray as well- I spray it on my hair before combing it out wet, and then again when it dries.

One 'n Only - Argan Oil - One 'n Only Argan Oil Restorative Mask

One 'n Only - Argan Oil - One 'n Only Argan Oil Spray Treatment

Truly, though, I think once it's at that point, your best bet is a haircut.
  6. Senior Member
    Since I work out pretty much everyday (sweat can be hard on your hair), get highlights and blow dry my hair almost everyday, i have always dealt with damaged hair. I was always willing to spend tons of money on anything that could get my hair healthy. I absolutely love Loreal's Nature Theraphy- Mega Moisturizer. The conditioner is in a little yellow tub thing and I get it from Sally's Beauty supply and runs around $12 i believe. THe Shampoo for it is great as well, but I like Enjoy sulfate free moisturizing shampoo.

Try the conditioner! You can probably order it online. I love it!
  7. Senior Member
    Sorry sweetie, if it is not a health issue (which it could be) than you have to let your hair recover. Hair cut and stop the highlights for a while.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I know relatively nothing about this stuff... but I've heard good things about Redken Extreme Cat. Its a protein spray you use in the shower between shampoo/conditioner. I am on the lookout for some myself... I can't find it locally and the US stores won't accept my Canadian credit card and/or won't ship to me or my US PO Box . I've heard you have to use it religiously for like a couple weeks... but once your hair improves, you can limit yourself to 1-2 times a week to keep it up!

Would dying your hair a darker colour (that you enjoy) be better for your hair? For some reason I have this idea that the bleach is worse for your hair than, say, darkening dyes. However, I could be right off my rocker!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by br33 View Post
    I know relatively nothing about this stuff... but I've heard good things about Redken Extreme Cat. Its a protein spray you use in the shower between shampoo/conditioner. I am on the lookout for some myself... I can't find it locally and the US stores won't accept my Canadian credit card and/or won't ship to me or my US PO Box . I've heard you have to use it religiously for like a couple weeks... but once your hair improves, you can limit yourself to 1-2 times a week to keep it up!

Would dying your hair a darker colour (that you enjoy) be better for your hair? For some reason I have this idea that the bleach is worse for your hair than, say, darkening dyes. However, I could be right off my rocker!
    it would be. bleach takes the pigment out of your hair which is not the best thing for it. if you dye your hair you can do deposit only dyes so its just putting stuff in there and not messing too much with your hair
  10. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    I love the dove shampoos and conditioners and I think my mom used to do a honey and eggs treatment to help her hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by KickDrumHeart View Post
    Yeah, maybe try some natural at-home remedies. Olive oil and honey maybe?
    Yeah, guess there's nothing to lose with trying home remedies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie! View Post
    treatments. look to see if theres a paul mitchell salon (or a school it'll be cheaper) around you. paul mitchell has a treatment for their awapuhi wild ginger line and its awesome. its called the awapuhi keratriplex treatment. it reduces damage by 80 %. getting that once a month or just after you get your highlights will help.

if you cant get to a salon try moroccan oil. its kind of pricey but i love it.
    i use this treatment about once a week and leave it in for 5-10 minutes Moroccanoil
    and then after i shower i use this oil Moroccanoil

ETA: when you go to get your hair done, have you noticed if she puts the bleach on all of your hair? make sure she only puts it on your roots. pulling it through is gonna increase damage
    That Paul Mitchell treatment sounds like a good idea! I'll google if theres a salon around here. I doubt it, but worth a shot. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    I'm using an Argan Oil Masque right now- you use it like a conditioner but leave it in for 7-10 minutes before rinsing out. And then I use a leave-in spray as well- I spray it on my hair before combing it out wet, and then again when it dries.

One 'n Only - Argan Oil - One 'n Only Argan Oil Restorative Mask

One 'n Only - Argan Oil - One 'n Only Argan Oil Spray Treatment

Truly, though, I think once it's at that point, your best bet is a haircut.
    I didn't like moroccan oil so much, but this might be better. Thanks for the links. I am willing to try anything and everything before I cut it. I just chopped my long hair off last year into a bob and have been growing it out since.

Quote Originally Posted by JRTS12 View Post
    Since I work out pretty much everyday (sweat can be hard on your hair), get highlights and blow dry my hair almost everyday, i have always dealt with damaged hair. I was always willing to spend tons of money on anything that could get my hair healthy. I absolutely love Loreal's Nature Theraphy- Mega Moisturizer. The conditioner is in a little yellow tub thing and I get it from Sally's Beauty supply and runs around $12 i believe. THe Shampoo for it is great as well, but I like Enjoy sulfate free moisturizing shampoo.

Try the conditioner! You can probably order it online. I love it!
    Thanks for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Sorry sweetie, if it is not a health issue (which it could be) than you have to let your hair recover. Hair cut and stop the highlights for a while.
    I would cry, seriously lol.

Quote Originally Posted by br33 View Post

Oooh that protein spray sounds awesome! I might try it. Dying it darker would be a lot healthier, but I just love being a blonde so much.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast