Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about tipping hair dressers..

1. Senior Member

Question about tipping hair dressers..

Advertisements
    Okay so I normally tip when I get my hair done, but tomorrow I'm getting my hair done by a lady that does hair in her home, and it's pretty expensive, do I still tip her even though she's working for herself and not in a salon? I've never gone to someone in their home I normally go to the salon.. TIA!

2. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    I usually tip 20% on haircuts - home stylist or not - a pair of good cutting sheers is super expensive and I have a cousin that is a stylist and their equipment needs replaced/updated a lot.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  3. Senior Member
    I still tip, they tend to be cheaper than salons (I mean, the fancy ones) and buy all their own stuff. I tip like 40% regardless but I know I go way overboard. I just really, really want the person to like me if I'm going to go back and have her cut my hair again.
    Banned
    Traditionally, owners do not receive a tip, however it is what you are comfortable with.
  5. Senior Member
    I tip well, depending on the service and quality. The girl that does my hair works out of a Lifetime Fitness Spa, and since I'm on her "list," I get all services for a flat rate of $5. So I usually tip about 10 times that! Lol!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I've always tipped regardless of where its done
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunofabeach85 View Post
    Okay so I normally tip when I get my hair done, but tomorrow I'm getting my hair done by a lady that does hair in her home, and it's pretty expensive, do I still tip her even though she's working for herself and not in a salon? I've never gone to someone in their home I normally go to the salon.. TIA!
    No, because everything outside the cost of supplies is hers. She doesn't have to pay for chair space, share with the salon etc.

And since you say it is already expensive it implies she is already making quite a bit off you.
  8. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I wouldn't tip someone doing it from their home as much as I'd tip someone doing it in a salon(even their own salon). She's not paying rent for an extra building like she would if she owned a salon, she's not paying rent for a space at a salon like she would if she worked at say Supper cuts for example. Then she's likely charging more then most of those places like Supper cuts would so she's making a decent buck.

She's have to do an amazing job to get more then a $5 tip from me if I tipped anything.
    Last edited by LoveMikeyBear; 01-28-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    Signature removed due to size.
  9. Senior Member
    I usually get my hair cut in my girl's basement. I don't tip, but I pay a few dollars extra than I would in a salon, so I consider it all even.
  10. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    I would, but like, $10.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast