Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much money???

1. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.

How much money???

Advertisements
    Ok - question(s)

I haven't bought clothes for myself in FOR EVER. I buy things randomly, a pair of jeans here, a couple of shirts there, but the last time that I actually went to buy myself clothes?? I don't even remember. Probably not since 2007 - true story.

Well, with baby being just weeks away and the plan being to get back to pre-baby size relatively quick - DF and I decided that we're going to take a chunk out of our tax returns and set it aside for a new wardrobe for me. A "mommy" wardrobe if you will - since all of my clothes are pre-pregnancy and I'm not sure what my body is going to be like post-pregnancy - I'm planning on waiting to go shopping for probably 2 months post-partum or so - depending on what my body does and what moves where (think boobs, butt, thighs, etc)

So anyway, how much money do you think would be a decent but not too selfish amount to set aside? I'm really not sure, I don't even know if there has ever been a time that I went out and got myself a new wardrobe, so I'm a little excited but a little nervous at the same time because I don't want to spend TOO much on myself, but I don't want to end up with crappy clothes either.

Input? Thoughts? Suggestions? Anything?
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  2. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    I'm not sure what your budget is, but for me I would think 200-400 is good for an entire wardrobe. It also really depends on where you shop though.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    If your a bargain shopper like me ex. american eagle,rue 21, maurices, forever 21 than i bet you could get a FULL wardrobe for 400 and be completely set. if not less thats roughly 6 pairs of jeans and a dozen tops obvs you can prob wear some of the clothes you had before I would think
  4. Senior Member
    Definitely depends where you shop, but I think about $300 would be good if you don't mind hitting up Old Navy or similar stores for your basics.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Wow those are low estimates. I bought myself a new wardrobe with "a commitment to quality" last year, and I spend around $1200. Like you I rarely shop, but I bought good quality clothing instead of buying lots on sale or just buying something because it was cheap. I also met with a personal shopper who helped me buy things that suit me. I feel SO much better in my clothes and with my shape. It was worth it.
  6. Senior Member
    Usually when I go shopping for a new wardrobe I spend 250-350. Most of the time all of my clothes come from JCPenney on their really good sales.
  7. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Wow those are low estimates. I bought myself a new wardrobe with "a commitment to quality" last year, and I spend around $1200. Like you I rarely shop, but I bought good quality clothing instead of buying lots on sale or just buying something because it was cheap. I also met with a personal shopper who helped me buy things that suit me. I feel SO much better in my clothes and with my shape. It was worth it.

That's kind of what I was thinking too, but I honestly don't know. I just am thinking like ..... A pair of good jeans is $50 these days and most shirts are $25-$30 each so $400 doesn't seem like it would really go very far.

I am also looking at quality clothes but not super quality. I can't afford to go drop $1500 on a SAHM wardrobe but I'd rather buy things that are going to last than buy things that I'm going to have to replace within a year.

I usually shop at places like American Eagle, Levi's, GAP, and outlets - but even those places aren't cheap these days. Factor in a little inflation because I'm in Hawaii and $400 will get 2 pairs of jeans, 4 shirts, and a pair of shoes.

Sadly, I really need to buy more clothes than that.

What do you guys think is a decent size wardrobe? Like how many pairs or pants, how many shirts? These may seem like dumb questions but I've always worked retail and I've always had A LOT of clothes, but they are all old now, don't fit right, starting to get holes and faded colors. So I need to pretty much start fresh.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    I would set aside around $1000 and get some really good quality clothes. After all, I'm sure this isn't what you and DF want to do with tax returns EVERY year. Make 'em last!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If I were going for an all new wardrobe I would set aside at least 500. And I definitely needed new pants post baby because my hips were bigger and were never the same
  10. Moderator

I spent about 1500 on new clothes after my skin removal surgery. Everything I owned prior was too big, so it was a full replacement, and I decided to go for quality as well. I bought a lot of things on sale, and things for all seasons.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast