Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Brigade Formal

1. Senior Member

Dance Brigade Formal

Advertisements
    Soooooo my amazing SO told me about his Brigade Formal that's coming up next month. . and im super psyched about it, i think it would be an amazing memory for he and i to have for when he deploys!

Seeing that it's the middle of January, i have maybe 2-3weeks at max to find a nice dress.

Where have you gotten your dresses? Or have seen nice dresses but never had or plan on buying?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm gonna be going renting a gown for the next Navy Ball That way I don't end up with a bunch of formal gowns I never wear in my closet. And I get to have a designer gown that I can't afford. It's a win-win!

ETA: Like this: http://pinterest.com/pin/124341639681640078/
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Senior Member
    How fancy do these things really get?
    How extreme does these things actually get??
    I dont know how "formal" to really get or how "ball-like" it is. . lol
    If that even makes sense. .
    I need pointers. . .
  4. Senior Member
    If it is called a "formal", chances are it is very....well, formal. Find out what uniform he's wearing and that will help a lot. You can google the uniform and find out what the civilian eqivalent is (black or white tie, cocktail, etc.).

If it is black or white tie, then the even it probably what most people commonly call a "formal". While some people wear shorter dresses to black tie events and it isn't as frowned up as it used to be, you are really supposed ot wear a floor length gown.

I buy a lot of my gowns on ebay, but only because I've tried on and bought enough of them that I know what size and brands work for me, and what shapes look good on me. For regular shops, Nordstrom's website tends to have a decent selection of evening wear and you can retrun in store (or via mail) if it doesn't fit. I find their selection in store to be much less vast. A lot of people also buy from places like David's bridal, though it's not a place I look because I think most of their dresses have that bridesmaid look to them, which I'm not a fan of.