Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Alternatives to hemming jeans

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Alternatives to hemming jeans

Advertisements
    I bought 2 new pairs of jeans this weekend! Yay! I'm rather short (5'1) and when I tried on the petite sizes, they just fit weird. The regular jeans fit a bit better but are just a tad bit long on me.

I don't know of anyone (aside from taking them to a tailor) who hems jeans and am gonna need them for work/school soon. I've seen commercials on tv for some nifty little...thing...idk...that "hems" jeans but its not as permanent as sewing. Idk if I'm making any sense.

What do all you short ladies do with your jeans if you dont hem them??
  2. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    Google 24 hour alterations places in the area, I'm sure someone is bound to be able to do it quickly.

I'm short also, and cannot wear Petite sizes to save my life, but I haven't ever had a pair of pants tailored because I am ridiculously lazy.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  3. Senior Member
    Is there a reason you don't want them hemmed? If you don't like the look of a fresh hem, you can ask for an "original hem" where they leave the bottom edge and essentially take a piece out of the middle to shorten them. That way, you keep the original look. It usually costs a few dollars more than a regular hem but isn't super expensive.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Is there a reason you don't want them hemmed? If you don't like the look of a fresh hem, you can ask for an "original hem" where they leave the bottom edge and essentially take a piece out of the middle to shorten them. That way, you keep the original look. It usually costs a few dollars more than a regular hem but isn't super expensive.
    I mostly didn't want them hemmed because of the cost. I remember my roommate took a pair of workpants to get hemmed once and it was about $20 (she may have taken more than one pair, I don't remember).
    Another thing is that when I was younger, we had a family friend do all of our alterations. She did a great job, but they ended up looking too different than when purchased. I didn't know there was an option of an "original hem". I'll look into that though!
  5. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    there's temporary hem tape, but aside from that and pinning, i doubt there's anything that will actually stay.
  6. Senior Member
    I'm so short that often times even "short" or "petite" sizes are too long on me. If I have the money I shop at stores that offer that service for free (so, I've paid top doller for some of my jeans) but more often I'll ask my mom or grandmother, I'm no help. Sorry.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I found these: https://www.buystylesnaps.com/

Any opinion or thoughts? I found some on Ebay for $.99 with $1.99 shipping. I may try them out, especially for that price...I just dunno how much to trust adhesives.
  8. skp
    The journey is the reward.
    The journey is the reward.
    You can also glue hem pants using fabric glue, its really easy and not permanent.

br33 is my professional deployment twin
    starsinthesky is my PAL