Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips to untangle hair snarls

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Help Tips to untangle hair snarls

Advertisements

My hair is growing out and its always gotten to a length where it will begin to snarl at the nape of my neck and its reallllly annoying. I brush it, at least 3-4 times a day. Is there a treatment or conditioner or something that can lessen this. I have lots of hair, but the strands aren't too thick. My hair is straight and relatively smooth.

If theres a treatment, like a malibu treatment that I'd need to do often, lemme know - I haven't tried it in about 15 years, I used to be a lifeguard and swim on the varsity team and would do a malibu treatment to help condition my hair after all the chemicals from being in season. Anyway, I can't remember how it affected the snarls

Any product names or brands would be helpful, too!!
  2. Classic Bookworm
    Classic Bookworm
    ....I literally use loriel(sp) kids hair detangaler(sp?). it work both on my thick baby fine hair that's pin point straight and gets tangled if you look at it wrong, and my sisters thick curly hair.
    Another thing I do is brush my hair in the shower when the conditioner is in with either my fingers or a wide tooth comb. That seems to help when it's wet to keep the tangles out.

SailorsBunny is my amazing Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    When my hair was super long I would comb the conditioner through (but make sure its a wide tooth comb or it will make it worse and cause breakage- Burt's Bee's sells one that is awesome) and for a leave in I just diluted my conditioner in some water in a spray bottle, or infusium 23.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My daughter and I both use Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution. It's a lightweight conditioner that doesn't weigh down our curls but we both think that it helps with tangles and snarls.
  5. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    When my hair was long it would do this allllll the time when I wore it down. It's super annoying. That was the worst part of having long hair.
  6. Senior Member
    Comb the conditioner through your hair when you're in the shower. I also use a detangling spray, usually just the kids kind. You could also ask a salon if a deep conditioning treatment would help. I just did that not too long ago, and it helped with my tangles a lot.
  7. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    for starters, brush your hair less. no joke. brushing creates splits and takes away oils that help your hair to be strong and less tangly. i comb my hair exactly once a day—about twenty minutes after i get out of the shower when it is still about three quarters of the way wet with a fat tooth wet comb and argan oil.

second, argan oil! i'm totally a broken record about this stuff on this site. but it's amazing. if you get the light version and just flip your head upside down and spritz it on the underside of your hair, it keeps it from getting rough and knotted. its a freaking miracle product.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    alright..is your hair tangling because its dry or just getting bunched up in hoodes what not?
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    wow - im so glad this got great responses, I'm getting to the point of wanting to keep it long, but missing the "freedom" of having it shorter.

My hair is more dry now, since the move - I have well water now and I use a treatment for well water once a week per my hair lady I wear my hair down and straight, no product, just let it dry from the shower. I comb it after I get outta the shower and then it seems to need it again around 11am - its a snarl. Then again around 3-4pm, and before I go to bed. PRIOR to it getting this long, I didn't comb it.. much at all. I didn't need to - it washed well and dried w/o snarls or tangles. I'd finger comb it basically.

For those with long hair - do you notice it tangling less if you curl it or set it somehow, like with curlers or using a straightner? Does using hair spray help or hinder? I'm open to doing whatever it takes, my morning routine takes maybe like 20 minutes from the time I get in the shower to being dressed and ready. I'm quick but if it'd be better to "do" my hair then I'll take the time to dry it or set it somehow. Ideas?
  10. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    Quote Originally Posted by AwwSnail View Post
    wow - im so glad this got great responses, I'm getting to the point of wanting to keep it long, but missing the "freedom" of having it shorter.

My hair is more dry now, since the move - I have well water now and I use a treatment for well water once a week per my hair lady I wear my hair down and straight, no product, just let it dry from the shower. I comb it after I get outta the shower and then it seems to need it again around 11am - its a snarl. Then again around 3-4pm, and before I go to bed. PRIOR to it getting this long, I didn't comb it.. much at all. I didn't need to - it washed well and dried w/o snarls or tangles. I'd finger comb it basically.

For those with long hair - do you notice it tangling less if you curl it or set it somehow, like with curlers or using a straightner? Does using hair spray help or hinder? I'm open to doing whatever it takes, my morning routine takes maybe like 20 minutes from the time I get in the shower to being dressed and ready. I'm quick but if it'd be better to "do" my hair then I'll take the time to dry it or set it somehow. Ideas?
    no way!! my hair is sooo much knottier when i dry it and straighten it. once again, probably just because it dries it out too much.
    i don't ever use hair spray because it causes my hair to break so easily, but i would guess that would be worse too. not more snarls, just snarls that are harder to untangle because they're stuck together

maybe try a different shampoo now that you've got different water? i'm using nexxus split end treatment shampoo right now and it makes me hair so freaking easy to comb out it's ridiculous. i've heard a lot of people say a sulfate free shampoo makes your hair easier to work with too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast