Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Hair hair hair...

  1. Senior Member
    Trollbie's Avatar
    Trollbie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,176

    #1

    Hair hair hair...

    Advertisements
    I've always had very healthy hair. A lot of it too. And even though it's very fine, it wouldn't get tangled much unless I didn't brush it for weeks. (I don't even brush my hair every day because I don't really need to and because I don't want to damage it.) And I wash my hair 3 times a week max. Usually it's more like twice. And I almost never blow dry or heat style. I don't use hairspray or mousse or anything.

    Well over the last 3 months my hair has gone down the pooper... I lose a ridiculous amount every time I shower and every time I run my fingers through... anything. And it's also very dry and gets tangled after a day. Considering the amount of stress I've been through lately it makes sense. It could also be due to the Depo shot, but losing this much hair was not a problem the first 3 months I was on it...

    Anyway, I want to save my hair. At Super Cuts they recommended Nioxin but I could only afford the shampoo so I've been using it for the past month or so. I can tell a small dofference but not enough. I obviously need the conditioner too, but it's too expensive. I went to Sally's and they recommended Follicure. Has anyone used this? It's cheaper than nioxin so I got the shampoo, conditioner, and vitamin treatment. I've only used it once so far so it's too early to say if it works or not, but I'd like to know I'm not wasting my time.

    Then I went shopping around for some deep conditioners and stuff. Drug store products don't work anymore so I had to invest in salon brands. I got some deep conditioner and leave in conditioner from Regis. So hopefully it's legit.

    It doesn't help that I have some scalp condition... I get bad dandruff and super itchy/scabby scalp. The shampoo my dr prescribed for that smelled like month balls and dried out my hair that it made my whole hair problem 3x worse so I stopped using it but I still need to treat my scalp somehow... I'm hoping the Follicure will help since I got the dandruff one.



    Anyway, has this happened to anyone else and if so, did it get better?

    And I'd like to know what products you guys use. I decided that once my hair (hopefully) gets back to normal I'll start using good salon products and take better care of it. Not that there is anything wrong with regular brands, but I'd like to see how much of a difference it actually makes. And my hair is important to me.

    Soooo any tips? Experiences? good hair vibes?

  2. <3 <3 <3
    OutlawWoman.'s Avatar
    OutlawWoman. is offline
    <3 <3 <3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    11,904
    #2
    My hair has been sort of fried like that since my Jr. yr of high school. It's very tangly and annoying, and I lose a lot of hair every time I shower/brush/etc. I've not yet found anything that really works for me.
  3. Senior Member
    Trollbie's Avatar
    Trollbie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,176

    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post
    My hair has been sort of fried like that since my Jr. yr of high school. It's very tangly and annoying, and I lose a lot of hair every time I shower/brush/etc. I've not yet found anything that really works for me.
    Do you color/heat style? I just discovered this girl on YouTube and she seems legit haha

    Hell0Kymmy&#39;s Channel - YouTube

  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Tojai's Avatar
    Tojai is offline
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FL
    Posts
    30,026


    #4
    Do you think the scalp condition could be causing it? I had a dry scalp/dandruff/hair loss issue going when I was in school, and the dermatologist had to prescribe something for me to take. I forgot what now but he diagnosed it by looking at my scalp under a blacklight type thing and he could see whatever it was on my skin.

    He gave me a prescription for a pill to take, but he just recommended the OTC Nizoral shampoo (still doesn't smell good though!) and it helped a ton. I still have to buy and use the Nizoral once in a while. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the pill though.
  5. <3 <3 <3
    OutlawWoman.'s Avatar
    OutlawWoman. is offline
    <3 <3 <3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    11,904
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollbie View Post
    Do you color/heat style? I just discovered this girl on YouTube and she seems legit haha

    Hell0Kymmy's Channel - YouTube
    Now I do, but at the point that it started changing, etc. I never had before. My hair is VERY curly, though. I think a lot of my damage just comes from having super curly hair. I'm gonna check the youtuber out though..
    I love youtube beauty guru's.
  6. Senior Member
    Trollbie's Avatar
    Trollbie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,176

    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Do you think the scalp condition could be causing it? I had a dry scalp/dandruff/hair loss issue going when I was in school, and the dermatologist had to prescribe something for me to take. I forgot what now but he diagnosed it by looking at my scalp under a blacklight type thing and he could see whatever it was on my skin.

    He gave me a prescription for a pill to take, but he just recommended the OTC Nizoral shampoo (still doesn't smell good though!) and it helped a ton. I still have to buy and use the Nizoral once in a while. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the pill though.
    I've always had it though. And it's not getting better or worse so I don't think that's what's causing it

  7. Senior Member
    Trollbie's Avatar
    Trollbie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,176

    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post
    Now I do, but at the point that it started changing, etc. I never had before. My hair is VERY curly, though. I think a lot of my damage just comes from having super curly hair. I'm gonna check the youtuber out though..
    I love youtube beauty guru's.
    Using the right serums is important!

  8. Senior Member
    happenings's Avatar
    happenings is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA/TX
    Posts
    1,610
    #8
    My hair has gotten very tangly, dry, and brittle at the ends in the last few months. My hair stylist recommended I use a deep conditioner and leave it in for 5 minutes. Then when I get out of the shower, to run argon oil through the bottom half of my hair, paying special attention to my ends. Don't put it from the roots to the ends, or else your hair will get extra greasy. I use the argon oil every day, even if I don't wash my hair. It's really helped so far and the tangles are at a minimum now. Good luck, I hope you find something that will work for you



  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Tojai's Avatar
    Tojai is offline
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FL
    Posts
    30,026


    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollbie View Post
    I've always had it though. And it's not getting better or worse so I don't think that's what's causing it
    Oh ok I thought that the scalp condition was a new thing! My bad I read it wrong. I hope you can get it figured out then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •