Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding hair products

1. Moderator

Wedding hair products

Advertisements
    Ok so I need ideas.

My baby sister is getting married in 8 days (). When she was a kid she always had super long hair, and for whatever reason my mother has always really failed at hairstyling, no matter how hard she tried. I always did my sisters' hair for them- It was my niche, and really the only way I stayed close to my sisters because we have absolutely nothing in common. I styled this particular sister's hair for her proms and such. Anyway, as like a sentimental, nostalgic-type deal, she decided she wants me to do her hair for her wedding. Gaah. So I have to create a masterpiece, one that will stand the test of time and look great in pictures forever. Obviously, this isn't junior prom anymore, and I am freaking the FREAK OUT.

So. Give me suggestions on products. For what she's looking for, I will need to use some kind of volumizing products, a straightener, a curling iron or hot rollers, hairsprays, and shine.

The conditions: The products I use can NOT make her hair look like crunchy prom hair, and they need to hold up fairly well. She intends to have me do her hair for their wedding pics (they're taking them the day before) and then sleep on satin and wear the same hair for the wedding the next day, with any repairs necessary to be done that morning.

Any suggestions? Great obscure products you've found? The best things you use to create curls that stay? Price is not an object; the things I buy for this are her wedding gift (along with the plane tickets across the country, the week-long rental car, and dealing with my kid without the hubby for 6 days ) I have some things in mind, but I'm wondering if there may be other products/styling tools out there I don't know about that would make this easier.

I can't believe my baby sister is getting married.
  2. Senior Member
    Awww sorry no suggestions, but that is so sweet of you and her.
  3. Senior Member

You are going to do a trial run on her, right?
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    for curling i would wrap the hair around the curling iron...not grab the hair with the clamp and curl it. ive seen a commercial recently for one they sell w/o the clamp or you can just take the clamp off of one...anyways doing it that way makes the curls look for natural.

is her hair naturally curly? mine is and if i put some curling stuff in it (Redken 7) and sleep on it..then i wake up and touch up my curls with the curling iron..i think they end up looking for natural that way

maybe this website can help: Welcome to NaturallyCurly.com!

I <3 Thirty-One! Summer Catalog is here! Ship to APO/FPO Join my team today!
  5. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by decks View Post
    You are going to do a trial run on her, right?
    Yes, I'm flying in a day early for a trial run. If she has time (her words). She has waaaaaaaaaaaay too much faith in my abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by rache3 View Post
    for curling i would wrap the hair around the curling iron...not grab the hair with the clamp and curl it. ive seen a commercial recently for one they sell w/o the clamp or you can just take the clamp off of one...anyways doing it that way makes the curls look for natural.

is her hair naturally curly? mine is and if i put some curling stuff in it (Redken 7) and sleep on it..then i wake up and touch up my curls with the curling iron..i think they end up looking for natural that way

maybe this website can help: Welcome to NaturallyCurly.com!
    She has some weird, random curls, and then mostly straight. She also has a huge bleached out streak in the front of her very dark hair that I get to contend with.

I'll post a pic of her and what she's looking for in a few minutes, and I'm checking out that website, thanks!
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    Yes, I'm flying in a day early for a trial run. If she has time (her words). She has waaaaaaaaaaaay too much faith in my abilities.

She has some weird, random curls, and then mostly straight. She also has a huge bleached out streak in the front of her very dark hair that I get to contend with.

I'll post a pic of her and what she's looking for in a few minutes, and I'm checking out that website, thanks!
    As a joke, I would put a flower behind her ear and say, 'Done"
  7. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by decks View Post
    As a joke, I would put a flower behind her ear and say, 'Done"
    She might like it!

She wants this bizarre ornament in her hair too. I'm hoping she trusts my judgment enough to agree without argument if I tell her it's just not going to happen.

One of the hardest parts is that the other women in my family are VERY visually artistic (this particular sister is an illustration major) and they have a very good picture of everything in their heads. They bought a gown with the skirt she wanted and tore out the bodice, pieced together four patterns for a new bodice and made sleeves from scratch to get her exactly the dress she wanted. I could NEVER do that. I can't imagine a picture of something until it's in front of my eyes. Hopefully I can give her what she's picturing for her hair.
  8. Senior Member
    What kind of veil does she have.

Really I think a lot of hair still looks like prom hair when it is all curled and pinned up. I would do a french twist and get some of those rhinestone studded hair pins and place those strategically in her hair.
  9. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    What kind of veil does she have.

Really I think a lot of hair still looks like prom hair when it is all curled and pinned up. I would do a french twist and get some of those rhinestone studded hair pins and place those strategically in her hair.
    She's not going to wear a veil. Here's the best picture she could send me of something similar to the hair ornament. (She's making it, hasn't started yet.)

http://www.tilzy.tv/upload/news/Yvette%20Clue.png Yes. Yvette. I'm positive what she is picturing in her head is pretty, but I can't imagine it. At all.

Here are two examples of what she likes:

Styling Your Hair: Preparing Your Hair for an Updo (the first blonde)

http://www.free-makeup-tips.com/imag...style-updo.jpg

... only when she tells me what she likes she always says "like this, but not...." and then adds in a bunch of alterations to what the picture looks like.

Here's a picture of her:

and actually her hair has gotten longer since that pic, here is one of their wedding announcement pics where you can see the length I have to work with:

10. Senior Member
    That is such a cute pic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast