Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halp!

1. Moderator

Halp!

Advertisements
    I haven't been around a lot because I got a job and moved and things have been insane, but we're finally settled in. The anniversary of my getting clean and also when my hubby and I started dating (yeah, same day ) is coming up and we're celebrating big time! This weekend we're going to see the Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast touring here in Augusta, and next weekend we are going up to Atlanta for the Atlanta Opera's Magic Flute. Yeah. My hubs is getting laid.

ANYWAY. I need help! What would you wear to each event? I have tons of dresses, ranging from casual, maxi dress types through cocktail dresses all the way to formal gowns, and I have no idea what is appropriate for either show. I mention dresses specifically, because I don't own anything more formal than jeans that isn't a dress. Any thoughts? I can take pics of things I have if I need to, but I'm more hoping just for general style/formality guidelines for each event.

TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    I would do cocktail dresses. At least knee length. Some nice heels with a lovely clutch or small bag with a thin strap for your purse.
  3. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    I would do cocktail dresses. At least knee length. Some nice heels with a lovely clutch or small bag with a thin strap for your purse.
    Oo for both? I was thinking maybe the opera would be more of a formal type deal, but we're not going formal for dinner, so maybe you're right and cocktail would be appropriate. Hmmm
  4. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    1. I'm thinking something along the line of a cocktail dress for both.

2. I'm insanely jealous.

3. Congrats on celebrating being clean!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  5. Senior Member
    Yep, cocktail for both is fine. I mean opera you could do more formal, but if you don't have a long formal gown there is no need to get one. Cocktail will work for both.

Take some pictures of what you have in the cocktail range for us to help decide.
  6. Moderator

Ok, here are a range of options:

This one I would wear with a black shrug (I don't do sleeveless):

This one I would wear with a black or shimmery charcoal shrug:

Those two are both knee length.

This one is long, and silk, so it drapes more formally than a sundress, even though that's what it really is:

And these two are floor-length, but not incredibly formal (and they both really look better on, I noticed ):

hopefully they aren't huge. Guess I'll find out in a second.
  7. Surviving our first deployment!
    Surviving our first deployment!
    Blog Entries
    The Magic Flute is one of my favorite operas!!!!! I hope you enjoy it A cocktail dress should be just fine as long as it's knee length...you'll be surprised how many people will not even be that dressed up.
  8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
    The Magic Flute is one of my favorite operas!!!!! I hope you enjoy it A cocktail dress should be just fine as long as it's knee length...you'll be surprised how many people will not even be that dressed up.
    It's definitely one of my favorites as well! When I was little we had a "kid's version" of it where they made the story kid-friendly and added narration, but left all the music original, and I LOVED it. I have never been to a live opera before, and I have only seen Les Miserables as far as Broadway goes. That was in high school, and they made us wear our choir uniforms so I'm totally at a loss now.
  9. Surviving our first deployment!
    Surviving our first deployment!
    Blog Entries
    The magic flute is a good first "real" opera...the story is very easy to follow and really funny!!! The queen of the night aria is absolutely incredible
  10. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
    The magic flute is a good first "real" opera...the story is very easy to follow and really funny!!! The queen of the night aria is absolutely incredible
    I'm actually not a huge fan of her aria, but maybe that's just the alto in me, crying out for a better range. I studied a fair amount of French opera in high school and college (just never saw any live), but nothing will ever match the nostalgia of the Magic Flute. Soooo excited!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast