Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strong nails

1. Banned
    Banned

strong nails

Advertisements
    I am a nail biter but I'm trying to grow my nails. Everytime they get to a certain length they just get all flakey on top and break so easily...is there anything I can do to strengthen them so they don't break easily? Are they that weak from me biting them down for so many years?
  2. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Mine were like that, and eventually I started just biting them off so I didn't get hang nails, so I don't think that you biting them is causing it... if I were you, i'd just keep them painted (colors) so you can't see when they start to flake, and then you don't feel the need to peel them off... That's what I usually do. Hard as Nails has worked for a lot of my friends, and another friend took these fish oil vitamins that made her hair look really nice and nails grow really well, maybe try that?

be cool.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    haha yeah thats exactly what i do. Right when they get flakey i just pick away at them and that thins them out and then they start just getting uneven and i eventually bite em. i was going to try hard as nails but i wasnt sure if it worked, ill use it if it worked for some of your friends. i was thinking about a vitamin or something,its like when you get calcium deposits on your teeth maybe its something like that when you have flakey nails? thanks for the insight
  4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I bit my nails for a good 18 years....biting them weakens them a lot unfortunately. I haven't bit them in about 2 years now and they've gotten much stronger. The best advice I can give you is to buy a good nail hardener/strengthener from a drug store or wal-mart, or get a silk wrap at a professional nail salon.

5. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    yeah when you see those white little dots on your nails, thats a lack of calcium, so vitamins should help with that Just go to a GNC or whatever those vitamin places are called and ask whoever is working what they recommend for stronger nails, I'm sure they know what would be best

be cool.
  6. Senior Member
    An old school remedy is soaking them in gelatin, like the kind you buy at the store (my dad used to do that when his nails broke from playing guitar).

I've also heard prenatal vitamins work to keep your hair and nails strong and healthy.
  7. Senior Member
    and the way I stopped from biting my nails was to paint them. Or get them done. Like a weekly mani. If you pay to have them buff, shine, paint and polish your nails, hopefully you wont want to chew them all off as quickly, lol
  8. Senior Member
    GNC sells a vitamin that is meant for hair, nails and skin. It is suppose to better all three of them. It is the GNC brand although there are others.

I took them for a while and we moved and I forgot all about them for several months and than couldn't find them lol. But when I was taking them my hair and nails were healthier and stronger.
  9. xoxo
    xoxo
    I just keep mine painted... they a tast icky painted so i wont bite them and b if i bit and they chip i feel like i have to paint them all over again...
  10. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Quick quesiton, off topic:

What part of Ohio are you from? Me and my DH both think you kinda look farmiliar, and we're both from Ohio as well

be cool.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast