Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: perm question!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

perm question!

Advertisements
    i want to perm my hair. however, i have two questions. how long do they usually last? and if i perm my hair, can i still straighten it on certain days? or would it ruin the perm?

TIA
  2. Senior Member
    It depends on the person as far as how long it lasts. A few weeks. It doesnt come completely out, but your curl strength will weaken a little after this time. You can straighten it, but if you were my client I would advise against it. It would ruin the perm, but it would most likely damage your hair, because you already have the harsh chemicals from the perm in there, and you are applying intense heat on top of that, and/or it will shorten the life of the perm.
    Gotta look this life in the eye.
  3. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    I got my last perm over two years ago, and it's still going strong. The only problem is that my hair has grown out so much.

And I straighten my hair all the time. It's probably not healthy, though.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed

I wouldn't imagine straighten permed hair being any more damaging that straightening relaxed hair. I've been getting my hair relaxed since I was 13 and it's no more damaged from the straightener than it is from relaxer. JMO
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    thank you for the input ladies
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AML7609 View Post
    i want to perm my hair. however, i have two questions. how long do they usually last? and if i perm my hair, can i still straighten it on certain days? or would it ruin the perm?

TIA
    How long it lasts all depends on your hair. Before I had kids my hair would not hold a perm longer than about 6-8 months. I had a perm after my last child and I thought it would be the same (which is why I got it) but almost 2 years after the perm I still had waves. It wasn't curly like it was in the first year, but just wavy.

You can straighten your hair and it doesn't do anything to the perm. I do suggest you get some sort of hydrating serum for your hair to use when you do straighten your hair as those are both drying actions and it can become brittle and break your hair.
  7. Junior Member
    Out of interest ... can you perm your hair if it is already naturally curly? My curls aren't as curly as I want them to be .. and sometimes a little frizzy!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
    Out of interest ... can you perm your hair if it is already naturally curly? My curls aren't as curly as I want them to be .. and sometimes a little frizzy!
    Of course you can. You might want to go for a looser curl though since you already have curls.