Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat ironing tips

1. Senior Member

Flat ironing tips

Advertisements
    So I see that a lot of people can flat iron their hair in 20 minutes or less.

HOW DO YOU DO IT?!!?

I have to do small, small sections of hair to get all the curls out of mine, and I have thick hair.

Am I doing something wrong?

My stylist suggest an 1.5 in iron which is what I have as the bigger ones couldn't get the really kinky curls at the scalp.

Is it simply a length issue?

ETA: When my hair is straightened, it hits about waist-hip level.

2. Senior Member
    I have to use a really hot iron, and follow the iron with a hairbrush. Then I do sections and have to go over each section more than once.

ETA- It takes more than 20 minutes.
  3. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    It takes me 2 hours to straighten my hair. I have to clip it up and do it in small sections, and then do another layer and do that in small sections. Switching from side to side on my head. It's the only way to get it looking really straight like it's supposed to be that way and with no kinks or 'ripples' or anything. I wish I could do it in 20 minutes though
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have wavy hair. If I care that it looks good, I will do it in layers. Take very small sections down at a time from the bottom up. I have an inch one so I can get close to the scalp. Usually, I just straighten a little around my face and where the waves are kinky. I think people who straighten theirs in 20 mins probably have much naturally straighter and maybe shorter, too, hair than you do.
  5. Senior Member
    Yeah I do it in small sections at a time. Use a straightening shampoo and conditoner before hand (Which don't work for crap) and Super Skinny serum. I can get it pretty straight. And it will stay pretty straight for about a week before I wash it.

But it takes 2-3 hours.

I don't want to cut it. and I have layers. I guess I'm just SOL because my hair wants to be curly

6. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    Yeah I do it in small sections at a time. Use a straightening shampoo and conditoner before hand (Which don't work for crap) and Super Skinny serum. I can get it pretty straight. And it will stay pretty straight for about a week before I wash it.

But it takes 2-3 hours.

I don't want to cut it. and I have layers. I guess I'm just SOL because my hair wants to be curly
    It sounds like you and I have the same hair type. I have super curly hair, it's longer, and it has layers too. I've tried to straightening shampoos and conditioners and they just made my hair heavy, not smooth. So I started using a combination of herbal essences. The blue shampoo that is hello hydration and the orange one that is volumizing conditioner. I think it makes a big difference in how cooperative my hair is when I straighten it
    Banned
    When I was 16 I could do mine in 20 minutes but my hair was short. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Now it takes me between 30-45 minutes. But I've been straightening my hair for about 3 years and I straighten others. Sometimes it just takes practice to pick up speed.
  8. Senior Member

It takes me about 45 minutes. It sucks because I HATE my hair curly and I love it straight but I can just not bring myself to take all that time every day. Although according to some of the responses I guess 45 minutes really isn't all that bad!

I do it in small section too, in layers. My hair isn't terribly curly, but it's more than wavy. The main problem for me is just how ridiculously thick it is. Whenever I get my hair cut I get my lady to thin it out though, and then it's easier and faster to straighten for a couple weeks.
  9. Regular Member

When my hair was long (around mid-back) I'd use a blow dryer and round boar bristle brush to straighten it instead of a flat iron. The brush is about 4" across, so it was great for the length of hair and quicker than the flat iron (though still took about 40 minutes). Now my hair is a little longer than chin length and it takes about 20 minutes to flat iron. I pin all the hair around the crown so do the underside first, drying it with a small round brush and dryer then going over it with the iron. Then I do the top portion.

If your hair is super curly, I definitely recommend using the biggest round brush you can find (look around online and make sure it has boar hair bristles as those work the best to beat frizz) and a blow dryer to dry it first. Then you'll just need the flat iron to touch it up all over. Also, the products you use can make or break a style. I use the Redken Align and Bed Head After Party (about a pump of each, rub hands together to mix and spread evenly throughout hair, more if really long). Sometimes I toss in some Frizz Ease. After I top it off with some CHI Shine Infusion. I also use those big metal clips to hold sections in place while I work. I know it seems like a lot, and it'll take forever at first, but after some practice it'll get easier and you'll get a routine to make it quicker. The best part (at least when it was longer) is that I could spend the 40 minutes straightening it one day at it was good for at least one more day after that. So it averaged out to about 20 minutes a day (just pin it up and wear a shower cap on the second day).
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    IMO it's all about the kind of straighter you have.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast