Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formal Wear Sizing

1. La Xicana
    La Xicana
    Blog Entries

Formal Wear Sizing

Advertisements
    Ok, so I heard this on the radio this morning and I always wondered the same thing....WHY in the world is formal wear and suits usually sized so small, that it forces you to buy something that is a size way bigger than your usual size? I just don't get that. Like I wear a size 12 in general, but I cannot wear size 12 suit jacket. It sucks because I have to end up buying either a size 14 suit where the pants are too big, or I have to find a suit that sells in separates. And formal dresses? Forget it, I have to find like a size 16 for it to barely fit me , especially like the satiny ones. What is the deal?
  2. Senior Member
    I've never noticed it. I wear a 4 across the board. Actually, some 4 formal gowns are a bit big for me.

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by sdshorty View Post
    Ok, so I heard this on the radio this morning and I always wondered the same thing....WHY in the world is formal wear and suits usually sized so small, that it forces you to buy something that is a size way bigger than your usual size? I just don't get that. Like I wear a size 12 in general, but I cannot wear size 12 suit jacket. It sucks because I have to end up buying either a size 14 suit where the pants are too big, or I have to find a suit that sells in separates. And formal dresses? Forget it, I have to find like a size 16 for it to barely fit me , especially like the satiny ones. What is the deal?
    oh man i know what you mean!
    its stupid and all over the sizes in America are ridiculous and none of them actually true...

clothes need to be like shoes...you know your size and thats it.
  4. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    Probably because standard clothing sizes change. That's why a size 8 from 30 years ago is alot smaller than a size 8 today. Dress sizes stay relatively the same.
    MJM
    i actually wear a smaller size formal gown than my every day gown size. i don't wear suits so i can't speak there. i just wish sizes were uniform across the board. don't even get me started on forever 21 and their so-called "extra large"
  6. La Xicana
    La Xicana
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xkrazybaby67x View Post
    i actually wear a smaller size formal gown than my every day gown size. i don't wear suits so i can't speak there. i just wish sizes were uniform across the board. don't even get me started on forever 21 and their so-called "extra large"
    LOL What about Abercromie and Hollister so called XL? That is the biggest joke ever.
  7. La Xicana
    La Xicana
    Blog Entries
    Ok maybe it's just my fat ass then
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Formal wear sizes haven't changed like others. It's kind of like how Marilyn Monroe was a size size 14 or whatever, when if she were the same size today she'd wear an 8-10. Most brands/designers started making thier clothing larger to make the consumer feel better.
    MJM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdshorty View Post
    LOL What about Abercromie and Hollister so called XL? That is the biggest joke ever.
    i boycott them too!
  10. Senior Member
    It made me almost cry when I was buying my wedding dress. I wear a size 6 in everything every brand no matter what, my wedding gown is a 14. It sucks. I totally agree makes no sense.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast