Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Straightening

1. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance

Japanese Straightening

Advertisements
    I have had my hair relaxed.
    However, it still leaves my hair VERY curly - but limp and dank at the same time.
    I am wanting to get my hair permanently straightened - through Japanese Straightening.
    Can anyone tell me about their experiences - and what I should look for in a hairdresser who does it?
    (I have not had my hair done since I moved to VA Beach, LOL!)
  2. Member
    i had jap straightening. and i followed everything they told me to do and my hair was back curly in 2 weeks. it was 300$/2 hrs; so not worth it IMO
  3. Beltway Bandit
    Beltway Bandit
    Blog Entries
    I've had it done twice. It's very expensive but worth it to me because for 5-6 months after I have it done I can just shower and go, and then for a few more months just touch it up with a little bit of straightening with a flat iron. However, my natural hair is not uber curly, just wavy.
  4. No Longer a Military SO, But Still Lovin' On MSOS
    No Longer a Military SO, But Still Lovin' On MSOS
    from what i've heard, japanese straightening is incredibly damaging to your hair. i believe there is a new treatment out called brazilian straightening that is much healthier for your hair and has even better results. check any local salons to see if they offer it.
    My blood runs scarlet and gray.
    *Court* and I were separated at birth
  5. Rei
    Chhyeah!
    Chhyeah!
    I only do Japanese straightening on a couple clients. It's very damaging to your hair and rarely does it seems like a good idea. It takes hours to do it and I charge $800 per session, so trust me, I'd be busting them out left and right if it was good for your hair.

6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    I only do Japanese straightening on a couple clients. It's very damaging to your hair and rarely does it seems like a good idea. It takes hours to do it and I charge $800 per session, so trust me, I'd be busting them out left and right if it was good for your hair.

I've thought about chemical straightening but then I'd feel like I was betraying my curls or something .
  7. Senior Member
    I'm living in Japan and have been getting the Japanese straightening system for the last year and a half. I love it and it works well. I get it done every 3 months and love the fact that I can just wash my hair and go about my business without hours with the flat iron. It lasts longer but I have to stay ontop of the new growth. Can't have the front of my hair in Africa and the back in Asia

My natural hair is super curly. If I did nothing to it it would be a tight fro. I can't say what the Japanese straightening system is like in the states, but my hair dresser (she is Japanese and married to an African) does a phenomenal job and as a result my hair has remained quite healthy despite the chemicals necessary to straighten it. I pay $200 and it takes her about 4 hours total.

If you have any other questions just ask/pm me!
  8. Senior Member
    hey OP- my 2 cents ??? Japanese straightening is no good for the hair, its rather detrimental.

and like the other ladies said, you get half a head of curly and half a head of straight hair.... ive seen it.

it was ALL the crazy in Singapore 4 years ago. and even asian girls with straight hair had it done, and it damaged their hair....

please dont do it
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Last edited by cbc1980; 02-01-2010 at 07:13 PM.
  10. The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    Quote Originally Posted by cbc1980 View Post
    The results vary depending on the condition of ur hair before u get it done... It is more efficient on unprocessed hair. I had bleached my hair before I got mine done and it wasn't very effective... My hair was super smooth the first 3 days and then when I washed it, it still wasn't dead straight like the pictures and advertisements claimed it would be...
    i think i would still do this, and be "ok" with it, depending on what i paid.

my hair is super curly..well, one side more curly than the other, and i'd rather have hair where i can shower, and let air dry into a semi wave, than have to sit there and put gunk and goop in my hair, or wait until my hair air dries before i can flat iron.
    ~Ashley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast