Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to develop tan?

1. Determined
    Determined

How long does it take to develop tan?

Advertisements
    I know there is a difference between beds, etc. I am about as white as white can get, so I'm sure I'll have to start out in the cheap beds. Or will I? lol. Also, about how long does it take to develop a really nice tan?
  2. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    How fast people tan and all that varies from person to person. For me, it only takes a couple days to get a good tan, but thats just how I am. My sister, it takes a month or maybe longer for her to get a nice tan, because she's just different when it comes to tanning.

You can choose whatever bed you feel comfortable in. If you burn easily, I'd start with a lower bed, and if you don't burn easily, you can probably start off with a higher watt bed. Just make sure (and you'll probably have to anyway, depending on how the salon is run) you start off with like 6 minutes max, and if you don't burn, go up another minute until you feel the most comfortable.

Also, Accelerator works wonders. It will help you get bronzed faster, just make don't use something generic that might turn you orange instead of tan. I use TAO, which is a designer skin lotion with 2x the bronzers, and it's anti-aging. It's like 50.00 a bottle (I had no choice but to get it, i forgot lotion and it was the cheapest at the place lol,) but I'm in love with it. Before that, I just used plan ole Australia Gold.

be cool.
  3. Determined
    Determined
    Yeah, I was wanting to get tanned before Michael comes off his deployment. I was gonna try to start tanning about two to three months before he comes home cause I do have a really hard time developing any color. I feel so self absorbed, keep posting threads about beauty stuff, but I just want to look as great as possible for him when he comes home. I think we all want to look and feel as amazingly as possible when we have to pick up our SO's on that big day though, so I guess I'm not too horrible.
  4. Not really a navy gf anymore...
    Not really a navy gf anymore...
    I'm incredibly pale (yay natural redhead) and have the hardest time getting tans. The problem is that I had a family member who had skin like mine, she got a bad sunburn from attempting to tan. She was diagnosed with skin cancer and died 6 weeks later.. I'd like to have some color but I'm too wary of unnatural tanning. I'm going to try some of that progressive tanning lotion. Anybody have any success with it? I just want a little pigment, so I'm not expecting major California tan
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I agree with Ash Mark's.... It really depends on your skin and how it reacts to the UVB and UVA rays.

I can go into the really expensive beds for a month and get zero color, but I go into the cheaper ones and get color in 3 sessions... Just go into a local tanning salon and ask them their advice.

If you are pretty pale then I would suggest starting at least 3 months before he comes home and ask the ladies at the salon to suggest a good bronzer.
  6. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash Mark's. View Post
    How fast people tan and all that varies from person to person. For me, it only takes a couple days to get a good tan, but thats just how I am. My sister, it takes a month or maybe longer for her to get a nice tan, because she's just different when it comes to tanning.

You can choose whatever bed you feel comfortable in. If you burn easily, I'd start with a lower bed, and if you don't burn easily, you can probably start off with a higher watt bed. Just make sure (and you'll probably have to anyway, depending on how the salon is run) you start off with like 6 minutes max, and if you don't burn, go up another minute until you feel the most comfortable.

Also, Accelerator works wonders. It will help you get bronzed faster, just make don't use something generic that might turn you orange instead of tan. I use TAO, which is a designer skin lotion with 2x the bronzers, and it's anti-aging. It's like 50.00 a bottle (I had no choice but to get it, i forgot lotion and it was the cheapest at the place lol,) but I'm in love with it. Before that, I just used plan ole Australia Gold.
    That pretty much covers it

I used to look sickly and burned VERY easily. I always used the lightest concealers. It took me about a month of tanning every other day at 5 minutes to get ANY color, and the first 5 minutes burned.

Now I go on 10 minutes in a stand up a few times a week. It all depends, but you'll have to start out low.

I use a spray in a brown bottle called No-AD, it was cheap and it works best! I'm also using (since I lost my no-ad0) a hemp based lotion...barely legal brand I believe....I hadn't been tanning in months and was tan after my third session, so I recomend that stuff to

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It takes me an afternoon in the sun or two or three visits to the tanning bed.

If you are really pale I would start tanning 2 months before he comes home and try to go everyday. Do your best not to get burned because then you will have to start the process all over again.

I would start in the lower levels the first month at 5 minutes and work your way up slowly and your second month decide if you want to move up to the bigger beds or not. Also I would recommend getting a good step 1 tanning lotion.
  8. Determined
    Determined
    Quote Originally Posted by settles View Post
    It takes me an afternoon in the sun or two or three visits to the tanning bed.

If you are really pale I would start tanning 2 months before he comes home and try to go everyday. Do your best not to get burned because then you will have to start the process all over again.

I would start in the lower levels the first month at 5 minutes and work your way up slowly and your second month decide if you want to move up to the bigger beds or not. Also I would recommend getting a good step 1 tanning lotion.
    I did not know that if you burn you have to start the whole process over, thanks for that info. I do burn oh so easily.

Also, can anyone recommend a good lotion, like by name. I'm sure they are going to try to throw a million of them out there at me when I go, and I will be so confused.

And do you only by them from the salon itself, or can you buy them elsewhere?
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by 82dchick View Post
    I did not know that if you burn you have to start the whole process over, thanks for that info. I do burn oh so easily.

Also, can anyone recommend a good lotion, like by name. I'm sure they are going to try to throw a million of them out there at me when I go, and I will be so confused.

And do you only by them from the salon itself, or can you buy them elsewhere?
    If you burn easily I would start at 3 or 4 minutes and tan several times and move up by 2 minutes every 3 times in the bed. (that's what we suggested at our salon)

Honestly, I like California Tan Lotion or MR International... Just like with almost anything the more you pay the better you get. But depending on your body a cheaper lotion could possibly work better than a more expensive lotion.

I love the "I" like by MR International that is what I use... there are several different ones but starting out I would suggest I Tan (blue = no bronzer, pink = bronzer) I use I Intensity which is made for the high pressure beds.

If you aren't sure which lotion to get buy the packages to make sure you like the lotion before spending money on a whole bottle.

You can buy lotion online, but I know some of our customers thought they were buying name brand products but when compared to what we had in the store they could tell they had gotten ripped off, so you just have to be careful when buying online!
  10. Senior Member
    Like the others have said, it varies quite a bit. I am auburn haired, and have mixed genetics... Welsh/Irish/French Norman/Native American on my mom's side and Scandinavian/Eastern European/Native American on my dad's side...

So while I am naturally pale and look like I burn easy... truth be told, I can start to get a good tan with a couple of hours worth of outdoor activities.

I hardly ever burn, and if I do, it turns brown in less than a week, with minimal peeling.

My half sister is the same way, my mother, a redhead can tan, but she burns easily and it takes a long time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast