Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car loan through USAA: Whose credit score do they use

1. Senior Member

Car loan through USAA: Whose credit score do they use

Advertisements
    My husband and I are searching for a new car and we were hoping to go through USAA for the car loan. He has poor credit and mine is fairly good (low 700s). I was wondering if I could apply for the car loan (because of my credit score) or does my husband need to be the one who applies for it since he is the service member? Thanks!!

DH: "I love you so much beautiful. Thanks for always being there and believing in me. It just makes me love you more!"
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

If you are a USAA member, you can apply for the loan in your name if you want your credit score to be used.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You can also ask them to run the rates for each of you as an individual and see what is less. Active service members get reduced rates, but any USAA member can apply for a loan. So even with the differences in score his could be lower. Lower payment for whatever reason are awesome.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    If you are a USAA member, you can apply for the loan in your name if you want your credit score to be used.
    He has his own account with USAA and I'm listed as a family member but I don't have my own personal account with them. Should I create one or do we just apply using his account, since I'm listed as a family member?

DH: "I love you so much beautiful. Thanks for always being there and believing in me. It just makes me love you more!"
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by kellysaav View Post
    He has his own account with USAA and I'm listed as a family member but I don't have my own personal account with them. Should I create one or do we just apply using his account, since I'm listed as a family member?
    Do you have a USAA member number? You should if he has you listed. Look for your name under Manage Personal Information, Family Member Information. Your USAA number should be right there. I believe USAA automatically issues a number to all family members.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. Senior Member
    As long as you are listed on his account you shouldn't need to make a new one if it is just for a car loan.

Your info will show up when he goes to apply for the loan and he will have to check some boxes that says he is authorized to add you to the car loan.
  7. Senior Member
    It would probably be easiest to call and see how you can get the lowest rate. For me and my husband, we got the lowest rate by both being on the car loan. I had a mid 700's credit score while his was like high 500's. But, his income was like twice mine at the time so we got the best deal by both being on the loan.
  8. Senior Member
    Call them and ask them if you can get a loan in just your name. Chances are, you can, and if not, then they should be able to set you up with your own member number. And they should also be able to run the numbers both ways to make sure you get the best rate.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Banned
    Banned
    They used both our scores when DH and I bought our truck.
  10. Senior Member
    Well my husband and I applied jointly (but I created my own account as well) and they offered us 15% rate! Ouch. I'm going to call USAA tomorrow and ask if we can get a lower rate if I applied by myself, since my credit is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast