Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Insurance

1. Senior Member

Dog Insurance

Advertisements
    We are stationed in Germany and about to get a puppy. I was discussing pet insurance with other spouses here because it is a German law to have it for dogs.

The kind of pet insurance we need is similar to car insurance. It is to protect you if your dog were to get out of your house and attack someone, cause a car/bike accident, destroy someone else's property, etc.

Does USAA have anything like this? Someone said they added pet insurance to their USAA renters insurance but I told them that I did not think that was the correct insurance we need. I believe that the renters insurance add on was more for pet damage to the place you are renting. Just wanted to double check because I would love to go through USAA if we can.
  2. I'm so much cooler online
    I'm so much cooler online
    If this is true, this is news to me. I do know that our renters insurance covers them if there's any damage. And I want to say this includes if they cause an accident, (Running into the road and causing the car to swerve, dog bites) but I am not 100% positive on this, because it doesn't seem right. However, since we have been here and we've registered them on base and everything no one has ever told us about having pet insurance. So if this is true, let me know!!

I do know you have to have them buckled up in the car when you're driving off base. It's a 50 euro fine. Luckily the guard told us and I did not get fined!!
  3. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    I've never heard of this, the requirement to have insurance or the insurance itself

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

4. Senior Member
    I will ask again, but they went over it in our base's pet owner class.
  5. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    This is what I found on the Ramstein page:

"German law imposes strict liability on the owner for damages, regardless of whether the pet is in the possession of the owner, lost, or abandoned. Therefore, it is recommended that pet owners obtain liability insurance, which is available from commercial insurance companies. Usually, personal liability insurance is obtained in conjunction with pet liability insurance, which will cost."

Factsheets : Dog Keeping laws for Germany

So not required by law but recommended.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Penni View Post
    I've never heard of this, the requirement to have insurance or the insurance itself
    I haven't ever heard of it either.

7. Senior Member
    We were told it is common to have but not required.

Also, if you have renters insurance through USAA (and or an umbrella policy), ask them if ti covers any sort of liability for this sort of thing. Can't hurt to ask.

Oh... it just started snowing! /blurt
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Penni View Post
    This is what I found on the Ramstein page:

"German law imposes strict liability on the owner for damages, regardless of whether the pet is in the possession of the owner, lost, or abandoned. Therefore, it is recommended that pet owners obtain liability insurance, which is available from commercial insurance companies. Usually, personal liability insurance is obtained in conjunction with pet liability insurance, which will cost."

Factsheets : Dog Keeping laws for Germany

So not required by law but recommended.
    Ok, that's what someone else said now, that in our state it is not required, but is required in other German states.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    We were told it is common to have but not required.

Also, if you have renters insurance through USAA (and or an umbrella policy), ask them if ti covers any sort of liability for this sort of thing. Can't hurt to ask.

Oh... it just started snowing! /blurt
    That's why I posted it in this forum section
  10. Regular Member
    I can't comment on German law, but I can comment on liability insurance. If you have a Renters Policy through USAA it will cover you if you are liable for damages caused by your pet. The base policy comes with $100,000 of coverage and you can increase that to $300K or $500K. Beyond that, you need to look at aquiring an umbrella policy. The liability coverage included in your Renters policy would be in effect whether you're in the states or Europe.
    J.J. Montanaro is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER practicioner with USAA Financial Planning Services one of the USAA family of companies.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast