Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Opening a ROTH ISA for spouse with USAA

1. Junior Member

Opening a ROTH ISA for spouse with USAA

Advertisements
    My husband and I have a joint account with USAA, but he is the main account holder. We basically do everything with USAA and I was hoping to start a ROTH ISA for myself (the spouse) but the only options I can see is for my husband to set up his own. Do I have to apply to become a primary member of USAA before I can do that? I really wanted all our financial accounts etc to be on one log-in - is that possible? I hope this makes sense!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    USAA_JJ will I'm sure be on with more specific info, but yes, my children and I all three have our own unique USAA member number and have our own online accounts.

We were able to share the information so that (almost) everything is available under one log-in account though. USAA customer service helped us set it up. We can see account balances and things like that for all of our accounts under both my husbands and my log in accounts. My kids can only see their banking information on theirs.

Some things, however, we have to log into the account of the person it belongs to to see details and do certain functions.
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    My husband is the 'primary' account holder for our USAA account, and I was able to open up my own ROTH IRA. I have my own login and USAA # (separate from his) but I don't have my own account. We share bank account numbers, only difference is I have my own USAA# that is specific to me, that is what my IRA is under. However, my husband can access my IRA without any problems. So, to answer your question, you can open your own IRA in your own name, even if he is the primary acct holder. Just contact USAA, you can send them an email (private message via account) or call them.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    My husband is the 'primary' account holder for our USAA account, and I was able to open up my own ROTH IRA. I have my own login and USAA # (separate from his) but I don't have my own account. We share bank account numbers, only difference is I have my own USAA# that is specific to me, that is what my IRA is under. However, my husband can access my IRA without any problems. So, to answer your question, you can open your own IRA in your own name, even if he is the primary acct holder. Just contact USAA, you can send them an email (private message via account) or call them.
    I just went and logged into both of our accounts and checked, it's just set up under our member numbers, not account number. You can have separate log ins if you wish, but you can share the ability to view and/or maintain an account between family members.
  5. Junior Member
    Thanks!!! I've sent an email to USAA regarding getting my own USAA #

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

6. Regular Member
    There's an internal USAA form that you can request and complete. This will allow you to view your spouses account when you log in with your own USAA logon/number. So, for example, we completed the form so that I could see my wife's Roth IRA when I signed on to usaa.com.
    J.J. Montanaro is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER practicioner with USAA Financial Planning Services one of the USAA family of companies.