Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Apartments w/ bad credit....HELP!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Help Apartments w/ bad credit....HELP!

Advertisements
    Here is the backround...
    When i was a very dumb 19 year old I had an apartment in my name with an ex boyfriend. I left for Boot camp with 3 months left on the lease, which he agreed to pay for since I was leaving. He paid all but 1 month (bc we broke up), the last month and now it si on my credit. I am about to turn 24 and my Husband is currently deployed. My husband has immaculate credit/rental history. I have a 623 credit score and still in the process of getting it higher, but that takes time. My problem is that wherever DH lives I have to put my name on the lease bc I am over 18. But he is the one technically paying for it because 1.) I am a stay at home mom/wife and 2.) i am a full time student, he is our only income. The last apartment we had I didnt put my name on the lease. Now that DH is deployed I am wanting to move back near base (we dont want to live on base). So if I apply it will be under his name (I have both types of POA's), but will the apartment give me the keys since he can not be present. I am affraid to put my name on the lease bc I am assuming it will get denied. but why should it matter when the money will be coming out of my Husbands check?

Please help, i am at a loss and really just want to move home and have a home for my Husband to come back to after his deployemnt. What can i do?
  2. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Yes, they are required to give you the keys.

Have you thought of asking to apply yourself as an occupant only? That way you're also on the lease but not financially responsible, so they don't care about your financial/rental history.

Also, some places don't care that you have poor rental history as long as you've paid it off. If you have no rental debt, you might have better luck.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  3. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I had 0 credit when DH & I got this apartment because I never owned anything, never rented, nothing. He has high credit & my bad credit only brought it down on the limit we needed to have but we still got it. You should be fine because his credit is good.

For our new apartment that we're moving into, my credit isn't high but it's not low either. What I had to do was print out our banking info & highlight the days where his check is deposited to prove that there is a steady income.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  4. Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz
    Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz

They should still give you the keys and the post about rental credit being paid off... is true. POA, especially with both, makes you essentially him... so no worries on that!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It is not paid off though...?
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Won't matter.
    You should not have a problem renting from most legitimate companies.
    Also, your score doesn't matter.

Most management companies do not run a actual credit report. (yes, some still do.) they use a company which looks for specific items. Bankruptcy won't matter, but an eviction will.

Also, as long as you are living in the apartment and married to him, you are BOTH jointly liable for the rent. They WILL run a check on you, if you are going to live there. If you are living there, your name must be on the lease.
    However, because you are military (he is) most apartments near bases are more liberal because they know they can always go to the command and complain.

Also, when was the last time YOU got all three credit reports and looked at was actually on there? You are entitled to one free from each per year, plus any time you are rejected due to items on the report.

Don't bother paying for the score, and don't bother signing up for any credit monitoring, yet. Just get the reports.

Good luck!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Oh, and NO, they do not need to give you the keys because they do not need to rent to you based on a POA. POA's are a privilage, not a right, and an organization does not have to accept or honor one, or may even require a special one for its own needs.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Asherly thank you so much for your info! I do not have an eviction, I just owe them money and it is on my credit. I actually just recently checked my credit last month and it was on there, so thats how I know. So should I list myself as an occupant while my husband is the lease holder? I just feel like such an ass going into apartment places and I tell them up front what happened bc I dotn want to lie and they kinda get rude and say no basically. But these incidents have been here in FL where there is not a base/military 4 hours from here. Is there anything else I should do/know before going in and applying for a place?
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Why are you even telling them about the past?
    Simply go in and say that you are just going to be an occupant, and he's the lease holder because you do not generate any income and can't be financially responsible. There is no reason to divulge to them ahead of time that you have this lingering old debt.

Just start by telling them you have a POA and would like to lease it in your husband's name. If they want to know if you'll be living there, just state as an occupant only.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Why are you even telling them about the past?
    Simply go in and say that you are just going to be an occupant, and he's the lease holder because you do not generate any income and can't be financially responsible. There is no reason to divulge to them ahead of time that you have this lingering old debt.

Just start by telling them you have a POA and would like to lease it in your husband's name. If they want to know if you'll be living there, just state as an occupant only.
    Bc I honestly did not know I could do that? As I stated, I was a dumb ass 19 year old lol and that was the only apartment I have ever rented. ty and I am planning on doing that