Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Servicemember's Civil Relief Act (SCRA)

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Servicemember's Civil Relief Act (SCRA)

Advertisements
    My husband recently joined the army and under the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act (SCRA) I sent letters to his creditors(credit cards and the mortgage company) and they lowered our interest rates to 6%. What about my credit cards? I didn't send them anything because, though my husband is an authorized user, they are in my name. Do you suppose I could send them the same letter and get those interest rates dropped as well?
  2. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

Not sure, why not just do it and see what happens. I'm thinking though that sense he isn't the "owner" of the account, only a user that this act won't apply. YOU are still liable for the payments, not him.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have to agree with Jayo, I believe it would have to be HIS card in order to use that, not just him being an authorized user. You could always try though, person on the phone may be sympathetic to the situation and try to help...
  4. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
    Not sure, why not just do it and see what happens. I'm thinking though that sense he isn't the "owner" of the account, only a user that this act won't apply. YOU are still liable for the payments, not him.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Your creditors are not required to lower your rates since you are not the service member. However, not all creditors are completely familiar with the ins and outs of the SCRA, or may be feeling generous, and will grant you that anyway.

Example: The SCRA only applies to financial "burdens" acquired before he entered the service. However, K bought a car a few years into his AD stint, and when he was recalled, faxed USAA his orders and they still lowered his rate to 6% for his new AD period.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  7. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
    Your creditors are not required to lower your rates since you are not the service member. However, not all creditors are completely familiar with the ins and outs of the SCRA, or may be feeling generous, and will grant you that anyway.

Example: The SCRA only applies to financial "burdens" acquired before he entered the service. However, K bought a car a few years into his AD stint, and when he was recalled, faxed USAA his orders and they still lowered his rate to 6% for his new AD period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
    ditto...you could try it, nothing to lose, but I would be prepared for them to turn you down. good luck. it can't hurt.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you all! I'll rewrite the letter to say "My husband recently joined the army" and hope that they don't know the rules Thanks again for the advice
  9. Banned
    Banned
    you can try, but most "know " the rules.

also note- here- that the 6% is for 'existing balances" and if you charge anything watch your rates-

a recent occurance- the bank lowered the members CC to 6% - he went out and bought a 900 dollar computer and charged it on said card, they raised his interest rate to 23% for the computer purchase but kept the 6% on the previous balance-

so make sure you verify with the bank if it is on ALL balances or existing balances.
  10. Regular Member
    Remember, the SCRA interest rate cap does apply to debts incurred BEFORE the member entered active duty. It applies to your husband's debts and any joint debts, however if he is only an authorized user the debt is not truly joint, so I don't think the credit card company would reduce the rate...but you could certainly make the request!