Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joint Bank Account

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Help Joint Bank Account

Advertisements
    So DF and I are trying to open a joint bank account (specifically at Bank of America). I'm just wondering how we got abouts doing this and is it possible since he lives somewhere else and isn't here to sign anything?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It should be possible. Its just a matter of one of you opening an account and then adding the other person. The other person may need to go into their local branch to finish the paperwork and sign the papers, but it shouldn't be that hard.

Worse comes to worse, one of you give the other person temp POA to add them to the account.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    It should be possible. Its just a matter of one of you opening an account and then adding the other person. The other person may need to go into their local branch to finish the paperwork and sign the papers, but it shouldn't be that hard.

Worse comes to worse, one of you give the other person temp POA to add them to the account.
    Will they give us both cards or no?
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Word of advice from experience on joint accounts. I would have one for the two of you and still keep one on your own. Just put money away in yours for the just in case you need it fund.

I know it is something no one wants to think about but, you have to think of the just in case situations. I had a joint account with my x we didn't get it until 2 years into our relationship. We broke up last October and he withdrew all the money out of the account and all the bills that were posting over drew the account by 1000.00+. Since it was a joint account he had the right and there was nothing I could do.

I know we all want to say he would never do that but until you have a bad ending or something else happens you need to look out for your future too.

Just giving you advice. But yes it is possible for you to have a joint account and live in seperate states.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gfsdoif2vet View Post
    Word of advice from experience on joint accounts. I would have one for the two of you and still keep one on your own. Just put money away in yours for the just in case you need it fund.

I know it is something no one wants to think about but, you have to think of the just in case situations. I had a joint account with my x we didn't get it until 2 years into our relationship. We broke up last October and he withdrew all the money out of the account and all the bills that were posting over drew the account by 1000.00+. Since it was a joint account he had the right and there was nothing I could do.

I know we all want to say he would never do that but until you have a bad ending or something else happens you need to look out for your future too.

Just giving you advice. But yes it is possible for you to have a joint account and live in seperate states.
    Yeah we're both keeping seperate accounts of course
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Smart girl! I wish ya the best like I said yesterday you have a good mind set!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yes, you will each get your own ATM card.

I agree with the still having a separate account. Not just for a "if shit hits the fan account", but if you are both withdrawing money from the same account its going to set you up for possible over-drafts and not knowing your balance and all of that fun stuff.

What DH and I do is have 1 account that all the money goes into, from that we do bills and such, another account (well a few) for different savings stuff, and then we each have an account for "play" money each week for our own individual stuff.

I do have 1 account that I have set up with me and my mom on it together for emergencies, hope to never have to use it, but would rather have it in case and never need it then not have it and need it.

Just an option, different things work for different people!
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yeah what we were going to do is open the joint account. DF is actually quitting his job, he's already applying for new ones already, because his boss is making it a living hell because of his USMC schedule. Even though it's illegal to mess around with it, he still is a jerk and there's a few other reasons too. I told DF to quit his job and find a new one because the Marines needs to be his focus. So I'm helping him pay bills until he finds a job.

We're also going to do a savings account and all that too. We're keeping the seperate accounts because as you said Pita, it's super easy to overdraft otherwise
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gfsdoif2vet View Post
    Smart girl! I wish ya the best like I said yesterday you have a good mind set!
    Thank you
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Okay so now I am confused. I thought your Db was giving YOU money cause you do not have a job and he is in the military. Now you are giving HIM money????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast