Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Writing this off on taxes...

1. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.

Writing this off on taxes...

Advertisements
    I was looking up Expectra - DHA supplement for pregnant and nursing moms, and its reviews.

In this review:
    Never any coupons, but great product
    By MommyBear3 from Central Valley, CA on 4/16/2010
    Pros:
    Easy On Stomach, Easy To Swallow, Simple To Take
    Cons:
    No coupon
    Best Uses:
    Daily Use, Replacement for fish
    Describe Yourself:
    First Time User, Health Conscious
    Bottom Line:
    Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Comments about Enfamil Expecta® LIPIL® DHA Supplement:

I take this supplement daily w/ a meal, along w/ my prenatal & other supplements. I don't eat fish & found this to be a great way to get DHA for my triplets. I'm not sure if 200mg is enough for 3, but it's better than nothing.

To those who keep complaining about the cost, my box never comes w/ a coupon. Not even an expired one! Besides, you can write this off on your taxes. Why complain if the supplement is to aid in your baby's development?! Some people are never happy! Geez!
    can you really write it off? Why would you be able to write this off?
  2. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    I'm guessing it can be counted as a healthcare expense if you're itemizing. Wouldn't matter for us, we take the standard deduction. (At least I *think* you have to itemize if you're going to claim healthcare expenses?)
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  3. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    So I Googled, and according to H&R Block's website, you do have to itemize to claim medical expenses AND they have to exceed 7.5% of your AGI--it's unlikely that someone in the military would have enough in medical expenses to make it worthwhile. I'm also not *certain* that it can be claimed since it's not a prescription but I really don't know. Any accountants here? LOL
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  4. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Yes one can write off OTC and Rx medications on one's income tax. Just keep your receipts.
  5. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Yes one can write off OTC and Rx medications on one's income tax. Just keep your receipts.
    Oh wow, thank you for that! But it doesn't have to come to a certain amount before being "worth it", does it?
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    So I Googled, and according to H&R Block's website, you do have to itemize to claim medical expenses AND they have to exceed 7.5% of your AGI--it's unlikely that someone in the military would have enough in medical expenses to make it worthwhile. I'm also not *certain* that it can be claimed since it's not a prescription but I really don't know. Any accountants here? LOL
    OP this is correct and answers your last question. It must equal a certain amount in order to itemize -- so your expenses would need to be significant to make it "worth" it.
  7. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBird View Post
    OP this is correct and answers your last question. It must equal a certain amount in order to itemize -- so your expenses would need to be significant to make it "worth" it.
    Oh okay. Thanks you guys for clearing this up!