Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about Banks

1. It is what it is....
    It is what it is....

Question about Banks

Advertisements
    I have a few questions that I am looking for help on:

1. When DH is gone for Basic and AIT, can he set it up for his pay and BAH to go into our joint checking/savings back home in WI?

2. When he gets orders for his post-after AIT, are there banks on post we can use or do we just find a local bank where we will be stationed?

3. How hard is it to change info such as bank accounts/addresses while in the Army? Is it easy or is there a lot of headaches and lag time involved?

4. Does DH have acesss to our bank account while at Basic and AIT?

Thank you in advance everyone!!
  2. It is what it is....
    It is what it is....
  3. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    If you want to keep your current bank, he needs to stop by the bank and pick up a direct deposit form from them, and a blank check from your checking account. If he needs/wants access to your account while at BCT and AIT, he will need to take his debit or check card along.

I'm assuming your husband is going to be Army, I'm not sure what banks are available on base, but we bank with Navy Federal CU, which is open to all services, and has branches in most major military concentration areas. I know a lot of people bank with USAA, but they are an online bank, no branches to walk into.

Changing bank accounts is easy, but it can take up to two pay periods to switch banks/accounts, that is all done online through DFAS after all of his financial information is already set up.
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    we use USAA and I love it!
    only bad part is not being able to depost cash. But you can scan your checks in at home into your bank account.
    its all online and you won't ever have to transfer banks because you move. They also offer advice when your moving or making big purchuses. We have never had a problem with them! they even returned a check bouncing fee to us because it was our first one ever
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

1. When DH is gone for Basic and AIT, can he set it up for his pay and BAH to go into our joint checking/savings back home in WI?

Yes, he will set up his pay to go into whatever account he wants. They may advise him to open a USAA account since it is one of the most military friendly, but in the end he can pick whatever bank he wants. Just make sure he has everything he needs (blank check, ect) to do direct deposit.

2. When he gets orders for his post-after AIT, are there banks on post we can use or do we just find a local bank where we will be stationed?

I would suggest looking into USAA or finding a nation wide bank so that you dont have to keep switching banks.

3. How hard is it to change info such as bank accounts/addresses while in the Army? Is it easy or is there a lot of headaches and lag time involved?

For most its not hard to change that stuff, in most cases you can do it right online (as far as the address goes). I dont know many people who switch their bank accounts all that often, most keep the same banks/accounts no matter where they get sent.

4. Does DH have acesss to our bank account while at Basic and AIT?

Most likely he will not have access (or really need access) at basic. As long as he has internet or a check/debit card he will have access during AIT. They have much more freedom there.
  6. Member
    1- Yes

2 - Usually. If you are concerned, just use online banking!

3 - It's not hard hun, just add what you need to.