Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Married with no kids? Housing/BAH

1. Senior Member

Confused Married with no kids? Housing/BAH

Advertisements
    DF has his heart set on staying in military housing that isn't going to take all of our BAH. Now, I on the other hand would really like to live in a neighborhood, preferably a townhouse or home (Any of the Lincoln housing) and not an appt. style. It seems most take all of the money though. A 2 bedroom is what we want, an extra bedroom for when family comes to visit.
    I don't have a job and I'm hoping to find one when I move, but I'm not positive how quickly that will happen.
    What I'm really wondering is, will we be tight for money or struggling if we chose to live somewhere that took all of our BAH?
    Would I need a job asap to accommodate my want of a house?

Any of you out there, that didn't or don't work but still manage to pull off a reasonable lifestyle while living in military housing and not banking any BAH?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My understanding is that if you are living in military housing you don't GET bah...
    Has this changed recently?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by guynavywife View Post
    My understanding is that if you are living in military housing you don't GET bah...
    Has this changed recently?
    I believe she is talking about the bases that have privatized housing, but even then I thought most housing areas still take most if not all BAH, at least dont leave enough to make it worth anything...
  4. Senior Member
    yea, if you live off post its up to you if you wanna use less/all/more then your BAH on rent but on post they just take your BAH. Weve done both, I like living on post because I dont have rent or utility bills anymore.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    I believe she is talking about the bases that have privatized housing, but even then I thought most housing areas still take most if not all BAH, at least dont leave enough to make it worth anything...
    Our post has privatized housing and yes they do still take it all
  6. Senior Member
    At the Naval Complex in San Diego you get BAH and there is privatized military housing (As Sam stated) all over the city and even in outlying towns.
    Most of them do take all of your BAH, but there are 4 or 5 that don't. The cheapest for 2 bedrooms was 1,025 a month, covering utilities as well, which leaves quite a good chunk of change left at the end of the month.
    I was really only wondering because it seemed like even asking for nicer housing was going to be an issue with him.
  7. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    No one can really say if it's feasible for you. None of us know your DF's rank or years in (both of which determine how much he's paid), what kind of lifestyle you're living and want to maintain, we don't know what kind of bills you guys are responsible for, what you'll want to buy in the near future (cars, furniture, etc), or how much you want to put into savings and retirement on a regular basis, etc. So there's no way for any of us to tell you if you should get the nicer housing and give up all of your BAH, or go in the less nice housing and keep some of your BAH. You two are just going to have to sit down, crunch numbers, come up with a budget, and decide from there. There's not really another way. None of us know enough about your finances to help you with this.

Our experiences with not working and living off of just military pay will differ due to rank, time in, etc. in addition to different life styles. For instance, just my experience as a couple without children living off of solely E-2 pay with less then a year in is completely different than my experience living as a couple without children on solely E-4 pay with 4 years in. It was vastly different and that was with the same life style. So I don't know how much knowing what it's been like for others will help.
  8. Regular Member
    Military housing that takes all your BAH has always been a good deal for us because we've never paid utilities. It's still a bargain, imo, but then again we have 3 kids.

On the other hand, if you do live in military housing, you're going to qualify for fewer bedrooms than those that have children. That means that if you take a place with 1/2 bedrooms, you're going to be paying just as much rent as someone with 4 bedrooms and more space. Imo, you might as well try to get yourself a discount. Besides, giving yourself a nice cushion in between rent and bah will put you in a good position later should you want to hatch a few eggs or get a really nice place out in town.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DestructoJess View Post
    Military housing that takes all your BAH has always been a good deal for us because we've never paid utilities. It's still a bargain, imo, but then again we have 3 kids.

On the other hand, if you do live in military housing, you're going to qualify for fewer bedrooms than those that have children. That means that if you take a place with 1/2 bedrooms, you're going to be paying just as much rent as someone with 4 bedrooms and more space. Imo, you might as well try to get yourself a discount. Besides, giving yourself a nice cushion in between rent and bah will put you in a good position later should you want to hatch a few eggs or get a really nice place out in town.
    I think we are just going to do the discount. I think saving money and not living in a house would be best. So, that makes most sense.

I'm sorry if the post was a little to vague. I just wanted a general idea.
  10. Regular Member
    What happened to our cardboard box of love we were going to get Abbs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast