Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tax Smart People... I have questions

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Tax Smart People... I have questions

Advertisements
    Alright so I have a few questions and will most likely continue to have questions until our taxes are done... DH is "doing them" but well I wanna help/get a better understanding...

Up until last may, I was always able to claim student exempt on my taxes for my job... So I was tax exempt from Jan-May, then May-Aug I declared 1 (whatever the normal thing is for a single person) then DH and I got married in Aug and I was no longer working... how will that work on our taxes (going from exempt to single to married) all in 1 year...

Does anyone know anything about the exemptions and credits that are available to contractors? I am pretty sure we do not qualify for the first 90k exemption thingy because I dont think we haven't been here for the minimum requirement... But I didnt know if there were others

All jobs give W2 correct? Will mine mail it to my house (in the states) or do I need to contact them and get a copy of it?
    Last edited by His*PITA*; 02-03-2010 at 08:08 AM.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Alright so I have a few questions and will most likely continue to have questions until our taxes are done... DH is "doing them" but well I wanna help/get a better understanding...

Up until last may, I was always able to claim student exempt on my taxes for my job... So I was tax exempt from Jan-May, then May-Aug I declared 1 (whatever the normal thing is for a single person) then DH and I got married in Aug and I was no longer working... how will that work on our taxes (going from exempt to single to married) all in 1 year...

Does anyone know anything about the exemptions and credits that are available to contractors? I am pretty sure we do not qualify for the first 90k exemption thingy because I dont think we haven't been here for the minimum requirement... But I didnt know if there were others

All jobs give W2 correct? Will mine mail it to my house (in the states) or do I need to contact them and get a copy of it?

They will mail it to the address that is on file. It will not get forwarded to you new address unless you made address change with your place of employment.
    ~JANA~
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by jana View Post
    [/B]

They will mail it to the address that is on file. It will not get forwarded to you new address unless you made address change with your place of employment.
    Blah... I hate when they wont forward things... any idea how easy/hard it is to get a second copy sent somewhere else?