Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: TaxACT error

1. Senior Member

TaxACT error

Advertisements
    I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me....but I'm using TaxACT to file our taxes this year

Here's the thing: I'm at the end of the process, where I actually submit the return. I was about to print out a copy and decided to go through it to make sure everything was correct.

....Well, I noticed an error. We have three children...somehow, our son's name and birthday was on the form TWICE, WITH my daughter's SSN and in place of her name and bday. Obviously, I went back through the form to see if I made a mistake. I didn't, It was entered correctly.

I haven't submitted the return yet because I'm not sure If it will be submitted with the error on it...or if it was just a computer glitch.

Any advice on what you would do in this situation?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by *EmAzing* View Post
    I shit pearls and use coach bags in place of zip-loc baggies
  2. Junior Member
    I'm not sure. If if makes you feel any better, my accountant has screwed up my middle initial every single year since I was about 15. Your stuff sound more important though since it's the SSN and whatnot.
    Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    you should be able to view the actual form. see if the error occurs on the form.
    of not, print a copy of the form either to paper or a pdf. see if the error is there.
    call the company. they may have an update or fix.
    worst comes to worse, e-file it, then print it, correct the error and mail it in. attach a note explaining.
    Odds are though, when you print it, it will be correct and the version that prints will be the version submitted.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guynavywife View Post
    you should be able to view the actual form. see if the error occurs on the form.
    of not, print a copy of the form either to paper or a pdf. see if the error is there.
    call the company. they may have an update or fix.
    worst comes to worse, e-file it, then print it, correct the error and mail it in. attach a note explaining.
    Odds are though, when you print it, it will be correct and the version that prints will be the version submitted.
    Yes, that's what I was saying. The error was on the pdf form. I was about to print it out and I saw it. I'll try printing it out, see if it changes.

*What's interesting is that the names and info are correct in the 'Exemptions' section, but incorrect in the 'Earned Income Credit' section of the form.
    Last edited by cupcaker; 01-22-2010 at 11:30 PM.

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cupcaker View Post
    Yes, that's what I was saying. The error was on the pdf form. I was about to print it out and I saw it. I'll try printing it out, see if it changes.

*What's interesting is that the names and info are correct in the 'Exemptions' section, but incorrect in the 'Earned Income Credit' section of the form.
    Change them manually. You should be able to go to the menu item "edit form manually" or "go to form" view full form etc. I dont have it on this computer so dont recall the menu name.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    oh!!! just hit me what may have happened!!!
    Did you import any data? either from last years form, from a financial program, or download and import your w-2s, etc?
  7. Senior Member
    Thanks Everyone. I ended up starting over and everything turned out fine.