Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military spouses can now pay tax in home state domicile??

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Military spouses can now pay tax in home state domicile??

Advertisements
    Rich,

Someone in my husbands family sent me an email saying that Congress passed a new law to allow armed forces spouses to pay state tax in their home state domicile retroactive Jan 1, 2009. How will this affect how I fill out my W2 as I am starting a new job in the state he is currently stationed at? I am not quite sure how to fill it out properly if this new law is correct.

Thanks!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If I remember correctly, you will be just like your DH. Wherever your home of residency is (i.e. drivers license) you pay taxes there.

Some states require you to pay taxes no matter what, others you can write them off because you weren't in the state to pay them. We learned this one because OH was the first. We HAD to pay taxes there until last year. And that was school taxes.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Now... I changed my drivers license to CA when we moved here (my home state was Delaware before... which is the same state as my husband) because I was told I was not like the AD member and had to change my state of residency. Will that screw me up from being able to pay Delaware taxes instead????? All this stuff is SOOOOOOOOO confusing! And I don't know who to contact on base to get all the right answers.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    this is my first year as his wife and i never changed my DL so it still says IN and his is TX... soooo how am i going to file joint taxes? ekk... i am going to have to go to a tax person this year arnt i?
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i stayed in texas when i had met him but i have never claimed it.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Before this year, you had to change your residency if you had a job in the state your DH was stationed. They changed that recently. I haven't looked at the bill that much because I don't work right now. I haven't worried about it. I don't have income.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    You have to claim the same state as your spouse, but you have to have lived their before hand, so this law will not apply to many spouses.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by itsalwaysme View Post
    You have to claim the same state as your spouse, but you have to have lived their before hand, so this law will not apply to many spouses.
    I lived 25 yrs of my life in the same state as my husband's home state. I now need to know where to go get information and help with this new law in order to pay my taxes and such since this new law does apply to me.

Does anyone know who I could contact to ask questions such as how should I fill out my W2 for the state that I work in (but it is not the same state that is my home state) or for how we should go about filing taxes for 2009????
  9. I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. K View Post
    I lived 25 yrs of my life in the same state as my husband's home state. I now need to know where to go get information and help with this new law in order to pay my taxes and such since this new law does apply to me.

Does anyone know who I could contact to ask questions such as how should I fill out my W2 for the state that I work in (but it is not the same state that is my home state) or for how we should go about filing taxes for 2009????
    You could try calling a tax office or even base legal.
  10. Senior Member
    I thought if you registered to vote in the state that made you a resident? I have an OR DL and registered to vote in last election for VA.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast