Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Car Insurance

1. Mrs Haines
    Mrs Haines

Car Insurance

Advertisements
    So the majority of us end up moving around a lot due to our SO's job, and that means we have to change our billing address and what not each time we move.

I was wondering what we should do about car insurance. We just moved to Georgia and went to update our car insurance billing address to find that we have to get our car tags, drivers licenses, and insurance changed to Georgia.

I'd have already talked to someone in a legal office (or really had my husband do this) but it's the holidays and well we just found this out today.

There's got to be a more simple way to do this, I just know there's got to be something. Mainly because not everyone that lives in my neighborhood has Georgia state tags, and I can't imagine we have nearly a whole post breaking the law.

We just got married in June, and my husband's been in Europe for 6 years, so I have no idea where to turn or get answers from. In addition, my home of record is different from his (would this affect anything from working better or worse in our situation here?)

And on top of that ... my car insurance company claims there's nothing I can do about this ... and this is a big time national company

Does anyone have any advice, or been there info?
    "I am absolutely convinced that there is no way around this... I have fallen in love with you" - DH

Would you believe me if I told you that fairy-tales come true .. when I'm with you?

2. Regular Member
    We just moved here to Georgia from Texas and didn't have to get our tags changed. I believe in the state of Georgia military members and dependents don't have to change their residency. (At least that's what they told my DH at his briefing last week).

I kept the same insurance company, just switched to a local agent but I can't imagine that having an impact on getting tags changed over. We use State Farm. Maybe it's just your insurance provider?
  3. Lima Oscar Victor Echo
    Lima Oscar Victor Echo
    We live in Georgia too. We changed ours over....our car insurance was ALOT cheaper having Georgia tags and everything. I do notice the majority of base does have GA plates but not everyone does. Maybe it will be cheaper to change....? I dont know if there is much to get around it. You shouldn't have to change them BUT you do have to change the insurance. You need the insurance for the state your driving in. Sorry its not much help....Good luck though!
  4. Senior Member
    We have USAA for insurance... and we have never had to change our plates, tags, registration or drivers licenses...
    We were in WA (state of record), then moved to NE.. we bought 4 different cars in NE... only one was titled through NE... the rest we did through WA. Now we are in PA.. and will get PA stuff when ours runs out (since we will no longer be active duty military).
    my sexy beast.. and me
  5. Mrs Haines
    Mrs Haines
    Amberlyn,

When you bought cars in NE, how did you title them through your home of record?
    "I am absolutely convinced that there is no way around this... I have fallen in love with you" - DH

Would you believe me if I told you that fairy-tales come true .. when I'm with you?

6. ~"Diva, Wife, Mom!"~
    ~"Diva, Wife, Mom!"~
    When me and dh got to fort Stewart.Georgia we bought a new car and did everything Georgia. Were from newyork so financially it was a great move. But I really miss my blue and white ny plates lol
    ~~Mi Familia!!!~~
    From Fort Stewart, GA 01/2008-01/2011 TO Fort Campbell, KY! 02/2011-
  7. They call me Mouse Potato
    They call me Mouse Potato
    For your license, tags, registration, if your active duty military you do not have to transfer them to the new state. it's likely who ever you talked to in that aspect was either really new or just had no clue what they were talking about.

for the insurance that DOES get changed to the new state. The insurance has to be based on teh state teh vehicle is garaged in, not the one it's registered in b/c it has to make sure your getting allt he coverages that state requires. Alot of the big national companies when you call in, it appears your just doing an address change, but in reality they are updating it to the new state as well.
    DH: "Your even more beautiful as my wife"