Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Debt Collector?

1. New to the Navy
    New to the Navy
    Cookeville, TN after bootcamp Charleston, SC

Confused Debt Collector?

Advertisements
    My husband just left for boot camp. We have less then $20,000 in debt and plan to have it paid off in a few years. A debt collector called and I called back to let them know not to call due to my husband being gone. I told him I couldn't tell him what branch of the service. He got me mad and it slipped. He said they can take everything since it was a citi cards account and they are a big company. He said he is ex military and he understands. I asked if he was going to tell the Navy and he said I have his word that he won't because he knows how it works and will not screw up his career.

These people lie. I know that. But this is my first time dealing with one. How do debts and the Navy work? Could he be kicked out? I am freaking out because I don't want my husband to lose his dream career. Help and advice on how to deal with this debt collector? Thanks!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCo View Post
    My husband just left for boot camp. We have less then $20,000 in debt and plan to have it paid off in a few years. A debt collector called and I called back to let them know not to call due to my husband being gone. I told him I couldn't tell him what branch of the service. He got me mad and it slipped. He said they can take everything since it was a citi cards account and they are a big company. He said he is ex military and he understands. I asked if he was going to tell the Navy and he said I have his word that he won't because he knows how it works and will not screw up his career.

These people lie. I know that. But this is my first time dealing with one. How do debts and the Navy work? Could he be kicked out? I am freaking out because I don't want my husband to lose his dream career. Help and advice on how to deal with this debt collector? Thanks!
    If his job requires a security clearance they'll run his credit and find out anyway.
  3. Formally known as MRZ. ROBINSON
    Formally known as MRZ. ROBINSON
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Ski View Post
    If his job requires a security clearance they'll run his credit and find out anyway.
    I agree. Not sure if they would kick him out. If you start making payments to them then i souldn't be a problem.
    I Love My Baby!
  4. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    Bad credit can keep him from getting a security clearance. They can't "tell on him" cause his credit report already does.
  5. Senior Member
    Unless he lied about it, I don't see how it woudl be a problem. At some point, having a lot of overdue debt can prevent you from getting a security clearance, but it doesn't sound like that is the issue right now.

Are you guys now paying at least the minimums at this point? If you are, I don't think you are doing anything illegal, so I can't see how he would get in trouble for this.
  6. I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    you really have to have some major debt to not get a clearance...we don't have the best credit but my husband has a clearance....it does take longer but as long as you're working on it the navy understands
  7. I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    As long as he's paying his bills on time he'll be ok. They aren't going to go seek him out, and due to privacy laws, unless you give him the quarterdeck number to his command, the creditors aren't going to be able to locate him anyways. We go through a lot of training (i'm a civilian contractor for the Navy) about privacy laws and how we cannot confirm nor deny whether a sailor is at a particular place, nor do we even have the ability to look up that information in the first place. Just make sure he's being responsible for what he owes and it'll all be fine.
  8. New to the Navy
    New to the Navy
    Cookeville, TN after bootcamp Charleston, SC
    we aren't paying right now because his first check hasn't gotten here. I work part time due to school and cannot make payments. He got security clearance at MEPS I believe....do they do this again? and they do do it at MEPS right? He is going in for Nuclear Engineering.
  9. I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I think you're good if meps ran it...For now...Nukes do have more strict rules bc well of all they see and do....
  10. Senior Member
    They can do it randomly. And he can lose it for not taking care of his personal finances.

Also, isn't there something you can qualify for to help with at least interest rates?

ETA: Nevermind, I was thinking he was reserves for some reason.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast