Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Credit cards - closing vs. keeping open?

1. Senior Member

Credit cards - closing vs. keeping open?

Advertisements
    x
    Last edited by marissaa310; 01-05-2010 at 01:10 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    Are any of them your oldest credit card? I have always been told that maintaining a credit history is super important and that you should always leave your oldest card open.

Beyond that, I am just guessing. My understanding is that having a decent amount of available credit is good, so I would leave them open. But I am not a financial dvisor, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday in Express last night.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Leave your oldest, main card open. As long as the money you've racked up on the cards versus the max amount is less than 30%, it won't hurt your credit, and you'll still have it in case of emergency.

Also I *believe* and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you can have too many things open at once and have it hurt your credit. I'm not sure about if they are 0 balanced, but having my 2 credit cards, personal loan and auto loan was "too much". Now I have one credit card and an auto loan. The credit card is much too high though, we need to pay it down.
  4. Senior Member
    I would think it would be better to keep them open. But if you don't use them every so often the company will close them, that happened to my Mom. She had some store cards that she never used and she went so long without using them that the they closed them on her, which isn't good, you never want the company to close them on you, if you want them closed you need to be the one to do it.

5. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    It depends on the length you've had the cards, and how long you've had credit as to whether it will hurt or not. If one of the cards you close is one of your oldest accounts, that will definitely hurt you. If they're all fairly new, it shouldn't matter, and will free up a larger credit line.

As far as having them and not using them, I don't see where that would hurt your credit unless your credit line is fairly high between the three, and that wouldn't matter until you go to open a new line of credit anyway.

If you do keep them, don't bother making a purchase every 6 months. It's recommended that you keep a small balance on them constantly if you're trying to build credit to show a revolving payment obligation, but one purchase in 6 months isn't going to help you.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    Leave your oldest, main card open. As long as the money you've racked up on the cards versus the max amount is less than 30%, it won't hurt your credit, and you'll still have it in case of emergency.

Also I *believe* and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you can have too many things open at once and have it hurt your credit. I'm not sure about if they are 0 balanced, but having my 2 credit cards, personal loan and auto loan was "too much". Now I have one credit card and an auto loan. The credit card is much too high though, we need to pay it down.
    I heard this before too!! Leave oldest card open and too much open credit can hurt your score.

Also, you may want to double check with your cards that have 0 balances...I paid off my Lowe's card and when I went back to use it 6 months later, they had closed it due to inactivity. I am not sure if this hurts your credit when they close the acct, but it did mine.

Good Luck!!