Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Having trouble talking to spouse about finances :(

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Duh Having trouble talking to spouse about finances :(

Advertisements
    Does anyone else have trouble talking to their spouse about their home finances? My DH is the only one working and we are having trouble paying bills. And because we don't live together I can't monitor what he is spending on and about 4-5 days after he gets paid we don't have enough money to pay our bills. Any suggestions on dealing with a problem like this?

-Victoria
  2. Banned
    Banned
    we do not have that problem- but a sit down with him to explain what is going on may help.

you need to present him with a budget and have written down where every penny goes so he can see he cannot just spend.

if all esle fails you may need to cut him loose from the ATM and give him an allowance until he can grow up and be responsible.
  3. Gonna Be Alright.
    Gonna Be Alright.
    DF and I use to have that problem, but its gotten better. DF doesn't understand that he just can't go out and buy whatever he wants whenever he wants. I just sit down and talk to him. Sometimes he gets frustrated and sometimes he understands. Yes we have little agruements about it from time to time. Communication is key.
  4. My milkshake feeds all the kids in the yard...
    My milkshake feeds all the kids in the yard...
    you need to discuss it with him and tell him you have a plan, then I would suggest doing the following:

pay your bills for the pay period the very day you get paid, then take out cash to use for groceries/gas/etc. if it only leaves him with $100 or so, then so be it, but you have to be able to eat, get where you need to go and have a roof, power, phone, etc.
    LaSageFemme
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I have tried talking to him showing him the budget and our financial plan, also i have tried taking the money out early to pay for everything and leaving him with roughly 200 but he still over spends putting our checking account in a state where its NEGATIVE. And then the next time he gets paid we'd have to pay that off first. His excuse for everything was "I'm getting deployed then you'll have all the money!" Or "You can pay it all off when I deploy." He uses his deployment as grief or guilt, it drives me crazy.