Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about taxes

1. I LOVE DUCKS
    I LOVE DUCKS

Question about taxes

Advertisements
    Were expecting and hubby and I were talking about taxes and possibly buying the crib and dresser from the taxes.

He deployed last year and came home in March so it was tax free for 2 1/2 months.

Im just trying to figure out if he'll get less back this year or more then last year so i can try to budget out baby expenses and what not.

Im not sure how the tax free affects the taxes.

Thank you!

2. Senior Member
    No clue. I have never relied on a tax refund for anything. I would try and budget some of the monthly paycheck for the crib just in case.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    last year when we filed DH was deployed for 6 months and we still got a good chunk back. I think you'll have enough to buy it.

We're paying off our car w/ our taxes.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Withholding is generally based on the amount of each paycheck, and multiplied by about 26. The employer presumes that the total will be the taxable amount for the year. It then takes out the appropriate amount of taxes.

Any month for which a soldier is deployed even for one day in a combat zone earns that months salary tax exempt.

Without boring you with the calculations, the employert took out taxes from other paychecks without consideration for the tax free months. (3 possibly).
    Therefore they took out too much.
    Also, do not forget that the year in which you have your baby, you will have an additional deduction or allowance.

However, this is for a civilian employer. The military probobly does the same thing. It would be too difficult otherwise.

So yes, you will likely receive a refund due to taxes being withheld based on tax free income.
    How much is anyone's guess.
    Don't spend it before you get it though.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. .:I(L)You:.Those 3 Words Have My Life In Them
    .:I(L)You:.Those 3 Words Have My Life In Them
    last year Dh was deployed for 7 months and we got a whole 138 back.. so idk.. i guess its differnent with everyone

IMy Baby Boy!
  6. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure we got less money back the years he was deployed in a tax free zone.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    It also depends on how many people he claims...

If he claims 0 then he'll get more back.. the more people he claims the less he'll get back but the more on paychecks he'll get.
  8. Regular Member

Taxes

You need to find out if they still take out money if he's in a tax free zone. If they aren't withholding anything you may see a little less or a Little more. If they continue to take money out you will see all of that money back. For us because I work and most of the taxes are taken out of my check I did see a big refund last time. That's because they continued to withhold from my check. If it causes you to drop a tax bracket that can help as well. You might want to speak to a tax attorney and get it all sorted out.
  9. I LOVE DUCKS
    I LOVE DUCKS
    Quote Originally Posted by instant_oatmeal View Post
    No clue. I have never relied on a tax refund for anything. I would try and budget some of the monthly paycheck for the crib just in case.
    We do.

10. Kym
    We have more taken out each month in taxes so we get a refund back at tax time. When dh was deployed in a tax free zone, we got over 8000 back in taxes when it usually is about 2500
    KYM